• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting property line legal question

I have this same problem. It has gotten worse now we unfortunately we had to cut our timber due to pine beetles this past summer and hunters have stands facing MY property looking out over the cut timber. I dont care if some one has 300 acres and you have 1 acre they will manage to put a stand on the line thats just how it goes.

No buffer by law, the one thing for certain, the deer falls dead across the property line, it belongs to the land owner where it lays. Deer = property of the state until dead, then they belong to the land owner where they lay, NO TRESPASSING. Good luck!

No buffer by law, the one thing for certain, the deer falls dead across the property line, it belongs to the land owner where it lays. Deer = property of the state until dead, then they belong to the land owner where they lay, NO TRESPASSING. Good luck!

But the OP's question was specific to Heard County, Ga.
That county has an ordinance (number 28-23) that prohibits firing a gun within 50 yards of a property border without that other land owner's permission. So when it comes to gun hunting, rather than archery hunting, there IS a "buffer zone" that is imposed by law, and can only be waived by permission of your neighbor.

laws allow to retreive wounded animals wherever they may go is my understanding

According to my local DNR WARDEN, you are to acquire permission from land owner, even take the DNR WARDEN with you if they tell you/or him that you cannot come on their property to recover the animal they can deny access to their property for game retrieval . Had it happen one time with a game WARDEN with me property owner said NO! That was it, then ask us to leave his property or he would call DNR HEADQUARTERS, and have me arrested for trespass. DNR, is federal authorities and have more latitude than local authorities..

The law states we are to do our best to recover the game we shoot, however our finding was you can not go on another property with out permission...

^^^ yep, you can not cross a property line to retrieve game without owners permission

new people bought 20 acres on the other side of my neighbor (he had permission to hunt there from last owner)
but he kept his stand about 30 feet on his side
he met new owners, man asked if that was his stand facing their property, man said they won't be hunting over there

neighbor went to his stand on 8 Sept and it had been turned on the tree to face away from the 20 acres
he left it where it had been turned and has hunted there several time
I talked him out of going and accusing the new owner of trespass and moving the stand

Had the same scenario on my sisters property she bought from a timber co.
We noticed a stand right across the property
Line.
I built a bridge across a creek near by and by the next weekend their stand was gone.

Back
Top Bottom