• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

Many years ago, my dad got two deer and they were standing side by side. He shot the first one and she dropped, the other took off and ran into a tree and was dead when he got there. I don't recall her being hit by a bullet. He was using a Ruger 44 with 210gr silver tips.

Any new deer hammers amongst our brethren?
Yeah, I am really longing for deer season to get here. Just because we're not deer hunting right now doesn't mean we're not thinking about it.
From January to early summer is the best time to score a deal on a deer slayer. You can never have too many!

I picked up this '68 all Belgium BAR grade 2 back in December. Excellent condition. It came with an old Redfield wideview 3-9x40 with see through rings. Old school for sure...I may change the scope and rings, but odd as it may be, I actually like the set up.
received_1149562985220486.jpeg
received_377394292832758.jpeg

received_2045733902182356.jpeg

I also got this Weatherby Vanguard sporter in .270, and topped with Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. Brand new, and absolutely beautiful. Pics don't do justice.

IMG_20190216_172008_kindlephoto-418878687.jpg

And I just got me another 336 JM stamped .30/30. I will probably leave it as is.

IMG_20190517_132005.jpg

Let's see them!

Nothing new here since Christmas, unless you count the little Savage 24 combo gun that I bought. I might be inclined to pop a doe with it this year. I’ve never killed a deer with buckshot before and it just so happens that it patterns 00 Buck very well.

Any new deer hammers amongst our brethren?
Yeah, I am really longing for deer season to get here. Just because we're not deer hunting right now doesn't mean we're not thinking about it.
From January to early summer is the best time to score a deal on a deer slayer. You can never have too many!

I picked up this '68 all Belgium BAR grade 2 back in December. Excellent condition. It came with an old Redfield wideview 3-9x40 with see through rings. Old school for sure...I may change the scope and rings, but odd as it may be, I actually like the set up.
View attachment 2127683 View attachment 2127692
View attachment 2127694

I also got this Weatherby Vanguard sporter in .270, and topped with Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. Brand new, and absolutely beautiful. Pics don't do justice.

View attachment 2127695

And I just got me another 336 JM stamped .30/30. I will probably leave it as is.

View attachment 2127696

Let's see them!

Those are some nice deer slayers!

Reactions: MRH
Those are some nice deer slayers!
Thanks!

Nothing new here since Christmas, unless you count the little Savage 24 combo gun that I bought. I might be inclined to pop a doe with it this year. I’ve never killed a deer with buckshot before and it just so happens that it patterns 00 Buck very well.

Funny story. I killed my first 8 pointer with a single shot 20 gauge with buckshot. I was 16 years old, and a couple of friends talked me into skipping school and going hunting, but there was no way I could sneak my .270 out of the house, so one of them brought that 20 gauge and put me in his stand. It was located on the edge of an old cutover and the hardwoods. I watched that buck for about 15 minutes as he made his way right under me. I pole axed that buck with that shotgun. He never knew what hit him. I still rag my friend about killing that buck out of his stand with his shotgun. Lol...My Dad was pissed when he found out I skipped school, but got over it when he saw that buck. Lol...That's how it is in our family. When it comes to deer hunting, most other things are not that important.

Thanks!

Funny story. I killed my first 8 pointer with a single shot 20 gauge with buckshot. I was 16 years old, and a couple of friends talked me into skipping school and going hunting, but there was no way I could sneak my .270 out of the house, so one of them brought that 20 gauge and put me in his stand. It was located on the edge of an old cutover and the hardwoods. I watched that buck for about 15 minutes as he made his way right under me. I pole axed that buck with that shotgun. He never knew what hit him. I still rag my friend about killing that buck out of his stand with his shotgun. Lol...My Dad was pissed when he found out I skipped school, but got over it when he saw that buck. Lol...That's how it is in our family. When it comes to deer hunting, most other things are not that important.

That’s a good story....sounds exactly like the way my Father might have reacted to that. Mom used to get pissed because my Father would let me lay out of school or check me out early to head to South Ga for the weekend.

I'll be running a 1953 ere Savage 99 in .300 Savage if I can get all the bugs worked out and assuming it can hit anything.

I think I'm going to spend some time in the woods with my M1a this year, too.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom