• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

This is my old faithful right here. Ruger M77 in 22-250. I guess it's probably killed everything that's walked or crawled, at least here in the Southeast. Love this rifle, not one I'll ever part with.

77 1.jpg
77 2.jpg
77 3.jpg

I've always wanted a .45/70. I really want a .444 Marlin too.
I double lung shot a mature 8pt with an 1895 Marlin in 45/70 at my lease back in 2012. I figured the 300 grain bullet would anchor him right there. Man, was I shocked when he got back up-I sent another bullet through the boiler room.
EC6CB793-49FE-43FC-90DB-0CE094D87DDB.jpeg

I double lung shot a mature 8pt with an 1895 Marlin in 45/70 at my lease back in 2012. I figured the 300 grain bullet would anchor him right there. Man, was I shocked when he got back up-I sent another bullet through the boiler room.
View attachment 2129421

If it's a nice buck, I take out the shoulder. Hit em where they can't get back up.

If it's a nice buck, I take out the shoulder. Hit em where they can't get back up.
He popped out in a roadbed at 35 yards over my right shoulder. I had to turn and shoot him as he was quartering to me. His front left shoulder was broken by the first shot and exited out the right side behind the shoulder. He still managed to get up by sheer will to live.

View attachment 2129421

I really like the 1895. That's a great model. That's a nice buck too! He was well fed!

He popped out in a roadbed at 35 yards over my right shoulder. I had to turn and shoot him as he was quartering to me. His front left shoulder was broken by the first shot and exited out the right side behind the shoulder. He still managed to get up by sheer will to live.

I've seen it happen. The shoulder is a good spot to aim in an effort to drop them, but there ain't no guarantees. The will of a buck to live can make the impossible seem possible.

I really like the 1895. That's a great model. That's a nice buck too! He was well fed!
That’s one rifle I should have kept! I’ll find another one eventually.

Thanks, I was thrilled to get that buck. I found one of his sheds during turkey season that year and was hunting him hard. It’s hard to see, but his front, left leg has a bullet wound a few inches above his hoof. There’s a big knot right where his leg was grazed by the bullet. It was healed up really well, definitely from a previous hunting season.

Reactions: MRH
That’s one rifle I should have kept! I’ll find another one eventually.

Thanks, I was thrilled to get that buck. I found one of his sheds during turkey season that year and was hunting him hard. It’s hard to see, but his front, left leg has a bullet wound a few inches above his hoof. There’s a big knot right where his leg was grazed by the bullet.

He was a tough one. You did right keeping an eye on him after dropping him with that first shot. I've had them get up a few times after dropping them. Usually if they kick around for a minute and then stop, you'll be fine, but if they drop and dont move, it's a good idea to stay on them. I had a 10 point jump up 5 minutes after dropping him just this past year. I had a feeling so I kept waiting...Finally about the time I was going to get up and walk to him, he stood up and was looking for an escape route. I nailed him again and that was that, but I was glad I waited. Oh, and that first shot was near perfect, btw. The second shot was right next to it. Crazy how tough are.

Back
Top Bottom