• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

He was a tough one. You did right keeping an eye on him after dropping him with that first shot. I've had them get up a few times after dropping them. Usually if they kick around for a minute and then stop, you'll be fine, but if they drop and dont move, it's a good idea to stay on them. I had a 10 point jump up 5 minutes after dropping him just this past year. I had a feeling so I kept waiting...Finally about the time I was going to get up and walk to him, he stood up and was looking for an escape route. I nailed him again and that was that, but I was glad I waited. Oh, and that first shot was near perfect, btw. The second shot was right next to it. Crazy how tough are.

Wise policy indeed. Deer are extremely tough. I don’t see how some of them can get up and run off after being shot sometimes. Putting an insurance round in a game animal isn’t something I plan on doing every time, but I will do so without hesitation if it ensures a quicker demise for the animal and if I deem it necessary.

Here’s my pistol setup for this coming season. The first deer that comes within range is in trouble. It’s a Gen 4 G-20, riding in a 2A Holster’s, Sportsman’s chest rig. It’s a convertible setup that enables me to carry muzzle up, down or horizontal. 2A is a Ga based company.
I’ll have the G-20 milled and topped with an RMR later on this Summer. In the meantime, I’ll be doing some experimenting with loads and barrels to see what works
best.
0AE6E058-383D-4793-B8D4-DB358995A958.jpeg

E379C9C4-FD98-4F1E-B9F7-ED061A72D3A1.jpeg

This one will see some use this season as well. It’s a Savage 840 chambered in 30/30.
I sanded/refinished the stock with a hand rubbed oil finish. I had it drilled and tapped for a scout rail, then topped it with a Vortex 2-7 scout scope. I also added a barrel band sling swivel.
30FB842C-3C5C-4D75-A547-FCF55F379765.jpeg
807E5F62-DD18-4619-A17B-FD73304DFC95.jpeg
0BE369E6-0212-4DC2-92A9-6F533E602D0B.jpeg

He popped out in a roadbed at 35 yards over my right shoulder. I had to turn and shoot him as he was quartering to me. His front left shoulder was broken by the first shot and exited out the right side behind the shoulder. He still managed to get up by sheer will to live.

They have a will to live for sure. I shot one, a nice buck early one morning with my 300 win mag, he was moving steadily so i rushed my shot. Did I say he was a huge buck? He's the only deer that I never found much less left his tracks after the 300. From the impact there was a spray of blood , flesh about 10 yards from the initial hit. I rushed my judgment on not using a sit time and wait. I called out for a buddy close by and we started looking, found where he laid down for a rest, Maybe 100 yards from my stand in kudzu, after that nothing. Looked for him for 2 days, nothing. Shot placement and good sound hunting techniques is a must. This hunt still haunts me to this day, I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe this was a record buck. We were hunting within 500 yards of our property line, and I know another hunter got my deer.:mad:

Reactions: MRH
They have a will to live for sure. I shot one, a nice buck early one morning with my 300 win mag, he was moving steadily so i rushed my shot. Did I say he was a huge buck? He's the only deer that I never found much less left his tracks after the 300. From the impact there was a spray of blood , flesh about 10 yards from the initial hit. I rushed my judgment on not using a sit time and wait. I called out for a buddy close by and we started looking, found where he laid down for a rest, Maybe 100 yards from my stand in kudzu, after that nothing. Looked for him for 2 days, nothing. Shot placement and good sound hunting techniques is a must. This hunt still haunts me to this day, I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe this was a record buck. We were hunting within 500 yards of our property line, and I know another hunter got my deer.:mad:

Dang that sucks! I had a similar experience many years ago. It was not a record class buck but it was a nice buck and would have been my nicest buck at that point in my hunting career. And same as you, I have never forgotten about it and still cringe when I think about it!

Here’s my pistol setup for this coming season. The first deer that comes within range is in trouble. It’s a Gen 4 G-20, riding in a 2A Holster’s, Sportsman’s chest rig. It’s a convertible setup that enables me to carry muzzle up, down or horizontal. 2A is a Ga based company.
I’ll have the G-20 milled and topped with an RMR later on this Summer. In the meantime, I’ll be doing some experimenting with loads and barrels to see what works
best.
View attachment 2129596
View attachment 2129597

I believe a heavy for caliber Hard Cast being pushed up near the top of the chart would be bad medicine for such.

10mm
44 Mag
45 Colt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom