• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

Picked up another rifle...Just because...Its a plain Jane, New Haven, CT. Model 70, and of course, it is .270...The greatest caliber in all the world.

Found a good deal for a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 and got it mounted today.

Right now with gun stores and pawn shops being cleaned out of the tactical crap, there are some good deals to be had for bolt guns.

I'll take it out back tomorrow and see what she do.

Can't wait for hunting season!
View attachment 2732787

Thinking about trading around for a .270 - ammo is always on the shelf. I have a scope with no rifle right now. I have the following set up for deer this year.

7mm08 -Fiocchi 139gr BTSP -legit .5 MOA bought for $17.50 per box at GA ARMS

.243 x2 - 1 with 95gr Deer Season XP, 1 with Noasler 90gr BT - both shoot MOA

.35 Remington - waiting on 2 boxes of Hornady to arrive - Grabagun has it for $25.00 per box. 1.25 MOA

.223 - Hornady 55gr Spirepoint. Bug holes for head shooting does and armadillos.

I have made up for lost range time over the last 2 years. I will post some pics shortly of the line up.

MRH MRH how is your son's .243 shooting? Did you get him a better scope yet?

Thinking about trading around for a .270 - ammo is always on the shelf. I have a scope with no rifle right now. I have the following set up for deer this year.

.35 Remington - waiting on 2 boxes of Hornady to arrive - Grabagun has it for $25.00 per box. 1.25 MOA

.223 - Hornady 55gr Spirepoint. Bug holes for head shooting does and armadillos.

I have made up for lost range time over the last 2 years. I will post some pics shortly of the line up.

That thing shoots great. We both love it. He can put them dead center at 50 yards. That rifle likes Hornady American Hunter rounds. I hope he can take his first buck this year. We saw 5 bucks under the pear trees a few evenings ago and he got excited.

Sounds like you have a good lineup. Try running Barnes Vor-Tx 55 grain TSX through that .223 and you can shoot for the shoulder on deer.

This buck dropped in his tracks from an 85 yard, shoulder shot with that very load.
That’s a Savage .223.
58EB8DD9-B7A1-4153-921C-9A0CE539C5B8.jpeg

Rifles, blackpowder, shotguns, even bows...Show your hunting rig(s). I'll start. My ol' trusty .270 BAR and my .30/06 BAR. The .270 is topped with a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 and has the old Kane gun chaps. They work. It doesn't have a scratch on it. The .30/06 is now topped with a Revolution 3x9x50, although not in the pictures. I bought some Gun Huggies for it. If anyone out there is looking for something great for protecting the wood on their rifles, Google Gun Huggies. They are awesome and the best thing since Gun Chaps...
Love my Brownings.

View attachment 305703View attachment 305704
I've always been curious about the accuracy of a BAR.

Sounds like you have a good lineup. Try running Barnes Vor-Tx 55 grain TSX through that .223 and you can shoot for the shoulder on deer.

This buck dropped in his tracks from an 85 yard, shoulder shot with that very load.
That’s a Savage .223.
View attachment 2755490

Looking for that exact ammo. No luck. It seems 62gr Fusion is nowhere to be found either. The rifle is ammo finicky and has 10 twist barrel. Not sure it will stabilize the 55gr TSX - but I will try If I can find it.

60gr Hornady WT = Doo Doo
64gr Power Shok = Doo Doo
64gr Power Point = Dog Doo Doo

I haven't hunted with a 270 for years. Last time I did you could buy the Winchester Silvertip bullets in the white and orange box. Obviously you can't find those anymore. I recently picked up a Ruger 270 that I'm looking to put into service this Fall. What are your favorite ammo for the 270? I have a good bit of core lokt 150 grains but was wondering what you folks use... MRH MRH ?

Rifles, blackpowder, shotguns, even bows...Show your hunting rig(s). I'll start. My ol' trusty .270 BAR and my .30/06 BAR. The .270 is topped with a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 and has the old Kane gun chaps. They work. It doesn't have a scratch on it. The .30/06 is now topped with a Revolution 3x9x50, although not in the pictures. I bought some Gun Huggies for it. If anyone out there is looking for something great for protecting the wood on their rifles, Google Gun Huggies. They are awesome and the best thing since Gun Chaps...
Love my Brownings.

View attachment 305703View attachment 305704
Can't go wrong with those two rigs.

Back
Top Bottom