• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

I have decided to go bow and rifle deer hunting for the first time this year. I have been eyeing an RPR 6.5 Creedmoor setup for a couple of years, for target shooting. Seeing as I need to buy a deer rifle anyways, maybe I should go ahead and pick one up. Is this overkill?

I haven't hunted with a 270 for years. Last time I did you could buy the Winchester Silvertip bullets in the white and orange box. Obviously you can't find those anymore. I recently picked up a Ruger 270 that I'm looking to put into service this Fall. What are your favorite ammo for the 270? I have a good bit of core lokt 150 grains but was wondering what you folks use... MRH MRH ?

For the past couple of years I have been using Hornady SST 130gr, but for many years I used CoreLokt, and then for many following years I used Federal blue box. The cheapest stuff shoots as good as anything out of my guns...I also prefer the 130gr over the 150gr. I've taken a good many deer with 150's, and they are fine, but those 130's seem to have something extra on them...Like a lightning bolt. Very lethal for deer.

I have decided to go bow and rifle deer hunting for the first time this year. I have been eyeing an RPR 6.5 Creedmoor setup for a couple of years, for target shooting. Seeing as I need to buy a deer rifle anyways, maybe I should go ahead and pick one up. Is this overkill?

6.5cm overkill? No, not at all. It should be just fine.

6.5cm overkill? No, not at all. It should be just fine.
Agree. The 6.5 rounds are great for deer hunting. The past few years, I have been hunting with a Tikka 6.5 Swede, using a Berger 130 classic hunter. Devastating round with little recoil. I picked up a new Tikka T3X stainless lite this year in 7mm-08. Just finished load development with Nosler 140 Accubonds. These will be my two primary rifles this year.

My main beater, a '63 Remingtom 760 in .35 rem. Leupold 4x compact
IMG_20191117_083134726.jpg

For bad weather I now have a Steyr Prohunter w a VX3i on it.
But........... I got suckered for the wood on this..............a '67 in .280 rem.
Hell trying to get a scope on it in offset ring (one at rear).
The vertical split rings are in bags, oiled......not gonna run those.
They kinda rare BTW.

Bought for maybe mule deer next yr

117106914_296103391710778_3471640458065780237_o.jpg

That is Rustoleum w Painter's Choice matte clear. Been over 5 yrs and still looks new.
Shot it black, let it cure. Tore blue masking tape and layered to build up stripes (feather edge due to tearing and not cutting). Hit green and then used tan on stripe areas (for max contrast when tape removed).

Gotta watch it when using tape, as too much paint will end up making for topography. And patterns can also be too busy. Knowing when to say "when" is half the battle.

I did sponge paint a Contender a while back too.
TC 513.jpg

That was w the .22 bbl (made from a 513T). Since it is a deer rig thread...........yeah, I changed the cheek riser on the buttstock (made em out of Kydex) and ran a Super 16 bbl in .35 rem. G2 forend was filled w epoxy and #8 shot to make it less twitchy.

Used auto primer for the grey base, and it ended up giving off a bluish glow in low light. So got stripped off (Acetone and a bunch of paper towels- that matte clear is nasty).

2015.jpg

Thread the needle, 75 yards, still hunting. Seen the glow of the sun on his back line as I got near the oak flat (stood on tiptoes as I was on lower ground and coming up.....wanted to check before being visible). Said "oh crap" (as all I could see was butt, and knew it was a decent sized buck). Snuck around and he was gone (Leupold 2-7X cranked low). Moved the scope from where he shoulda been just a bit and saw him in front of a big tree, almost hidden he was so grey looking). Didn't even look at rack, saw the decent front shoulder through a hole and fired.

The Super 16 are so short/light.......shooting golf balls at 75 yards mandated taking a knee, and touching off on 3rd or 4th pass..........sweating. Gun was just magnifying shooter inputs.

#8 shot and epoxy in the forend hollows........made shooting golf balls at 75 yards............offhand.............EASY.

Thank goodness the gun was modified, as that was the shot I ultimately had to rip in the field. But the gun looked stupid w such a short bbl. 18.5" or 20" and I'd have kept it.

Back
Top Bottom