• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting Tip for Today the 'Dead Zone'

JSoko

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I was Bow hunting and I shot a Deer yesterday morning, it drop like a rock (made a high shoulder hit, must have been close to the spine). Then it started kicking trying to get up, then it went still.
I was waiting about 10 minutes for the other deer to show themselves, then all of a sudden that Deer got up and ran off like it had never been hit. My gut sunk as I watched it run through the pines.

I followed a very faint blood trail for 500 yards, I came upon the Deer and when it seen me it took off, I could not get a shot off.
I continued the search down to the corn field and seen the deer run across onto the Timber Company property.
I walked home with my head hung low, I had a sick feeling all day.

So, this is the second time this has happened to me.
There is an area between the spine and lungs that's called the 'dead zone' an arrow can pass through this area and not kill the animal; if the spine is touched it can paralyze the Deer.
see this > https://www.google.com/search?ei=CE...2593...0j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.Pm_zko4Gf_0

My tip is - if you hit a Deer and it drops and then starts moving or kicking, shoot it again or get to it immediately and slit it's throat.

I still feel sick over loosing that Deer, it probably suffered all night and will probably die today or be attacked by Coyotes.
shovelhead.us_forum_images_icons_icon8.gif

I'm proficient enough with a Bow that I can shoot an apple off your head at 30 yards
but in the woods not all shots are easy, you sometimes have to contort your body to make a shot
and if all things are not lined up perfect the arrow will be off

My tree sitting rifles are short small rifle, my 2 favorites are the Remington model SEVEN youth 18.5" 7mm08 and the model SEVEN .308
a short length of pull makes for easy alignment when you have to twist or bend when shooting
and the short overall length also helps
(I've looked through some of my buddies scopes and I have to stretch my neck out like a turtle to get a good sight picture. I like my scopes further back for tree sitting, like 10" from butt to ocular)

the only good thing about yesterday is that I seen the Bucks are chasing Does

I'll be using my rifle the rest of the season
cold front moving in and the barometer is changing, the Deer should be moving

A Hunters responsibility is to dispatch Game quickly and to eliminate any suffering

here is the area of the 'Dead Zone'

th

th

The 2nd week of November was good, 6 in the freezer. This week one clean miss and the lost Deer
and I'm still finding fresh scrapes
it's not over yet
and I'm very excited about the coming weather change

I had to stay home and deal with Christmas stuff this weekend, but I'm with you on the weather change. I plan on getting in the woods Wednesday or Thursday.

I finished a buck off at Piedmont NWR years ago that was hit in the spine. The bullet hit one of the spinous processes that protrude upward off of the vertebrae. The fella that shot it said it dropped like a bag of hammers and laid there for a minute, then got up and hauled butt out of the area. It came by me and I saw the gaping hole on top of it’s back, which prompted me to put it out of its misery.
5B6EA681-5368-4F83-924B-AAF02DAE1AC9.jpeg

I used to love bow hunting,it is a rush to have a deer that close.My first season I stuck a few,slightly quarting,one walking and never found them. I learned like you are the lowes of hunting.I made a decision to only take the perfect shot .If the perfect shot didn't present its self the deer got a pass.From then on the out comes were more deer for me less for the yotes .

Back
Top Bottom