• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting Tree Rats

ArmedVet

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Ok was thinking about doing a little tree rat hunting and I only have 2 rifles that would fit the bill. One is my 10/22 with a heavy barrel really don't want to carry that all day and my marlin 17 hmr. So my question is has anyone here ever hunted tree rats aka squirrels with a 17 hmr? Is there anything left after bullet impact? Or should I just get another 22lr?

Last edited:
i use a pellet gun myself

read an article about using .22lr to hunt squirrel with out of an outdoorsman mag from the 80s

guy was saying how he normally would just blast the ****ers out with a shotgun, but wanted more of a challenge so he switched to the .22lr

i figure the .17 might be over kill if you want them for the meat (they are tough little bastards to clean)

Take head shots only if your wanting anything left to eat. I've seen pics of squirrels blown in half with HMRs. Of course, if your looking for an excuse to buy another .22, this is a good one. :) . Good luck, planning to be in a pecan orchard in the morning with the kid ruining breakfest for some rodents ourselfs.

Nick T

Use the heavier 20 grain bullet in the 17. They are specifically designed to hold together better and not completely destroy the squirrel. I've killed a couple with the 17 grain. It wasn't pretty.

Use the heavier 20 grain bullet in the 17. They are specifically designed to hold together better and not completely destroy the squirrel. I've killed a couple with the 17 grain. It wasn't pretty.

sledgehammer is the way to go if you want pretty

Pick up a marlin model 60. .17 will destroy too much meat. And it sounds like the heavy barrel 10/22 isn't something you want to lug through the woods.

A model 60 can be had cheap and is very accurate right out of the box and you won't have to worry about banging it up in the woods.

I use a pellet gun most of the time around the house, but in the woods I take my Savage 17 HMR and it does a great job. The only time I had trouble was when I ran out of solid tips and used the plastic tips... looked like I hit them with a .45 ... HUGE gaping hole that took out everything from the ribs to the base of the neck. It wasn't pretty, so I started taking head shots.

Headshot with a 17 works PERFECTLY. I've popped 2 or 3 with a 22 this year, it was unusually difficult because the leaves are still on the trees. Mammary glands still swollen from nursing babies, and one had two GIANT wolves on it, so sick from them its hair was slipping all over. I'll be waiting until the first frost. Nothing like long range head shots with a .22 at stationary squirrels way up in leafless trees. If I could just find a way to make them not all go into hiding once the shooting begins, it'd be a lot easier to fill the slow cooker up in a timely manner :P

Headshot with a 17 works PERFECTLY. I've popped 2 or 3 with a 22 this year, it was unusually difficult because the leaves are still on the trees. Mammary glands still swollen from nursing babies, and one had two GIANT wolves on it, so sick from them its hair was slipping all over. I'll be waiting until the first frost. Nothing like long range head shots with a .22 at stationary squirrels way up in leafless trees. If I could just find a way to make them not all go into hiding once the shooting begins, it'd be a lot easier to fill the slow cooker up in a timely manner :P

Man, just fry up those wolves... mmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom