• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting Tree Rats

Cool... I think I'm gonna go look for a little marlin 60.
Anyone got any good recipes other than gravy and biscuits?
Pawn shops are a great place to find that utility model 60. If ya want it pretty just refinish it yourself, great off season project. I love mine, perfect rifle for under 50yds.

Nick T

My early season setup sounds odd to most. 12ga 28" in barrel jelly head turkey choke number 6 shot high speed shells. I mostly hunt real thick areas the turkey choke helps to blast thru the thick canopy. I don't like wounding them. Late season I like my model 1969 romanian trainer rifle bolt action .22lr with iron sights.

Pawn shops are a great place to find that utility model 60. If ya want it pretty just refinish it yourself, great off season project. I love mine, perfect rifle for under 50yds.

Nick T
Thanks. Going to Howard's in a few mins. I don't want pretty. My 10/22 is pretty... Hehe.... I want something I don't mind dropping in the dirt.

Man spend $35-40 on a sporter takeoff barrel and change out the barrel on your 10/22. Its a very simple v block with 2 allan head screws that hold it on and it will take about 10 minutes.
So simple a caveman can do it.

Aint really anything that heavy about most HB 10/22s anyways.
yeah I know my HB 10/22 really ain't that heavy... BUT. It's so damn pretty. Lol.

Is 'barking' them even possible? I've got to try this. First one who does it report back.

It's an old technique meant to be used with a ML. You can do it with a deer rifle, too. Forget trying it with a 22 or 17, they don't have enough energy to do it reliably or maybe at all.

It's an old technique meant to be used with a ML. You can do it with a deer rifle, too. Forget trying it with a 22 or 17, they don't have enough energy to do it reliably or maybe at all.

^^^this^^^

Tried it on one this morning and all it did was make him find the next county like his tail was on fire. It was a good hit too, could see the bark splinters through the scope.

The other 5 weren't played with.....

i371.photobucket.com_albums_oo151_crowcommander_20131014_110055_zps486aa0a1.jpg

When you find a pawn 60 put a cheap scope on it ya have laying around. Check for function and grouping. If you have FFT or FTE problems take it apart and give it a good cleaning and try again. Most of the time that'll take care of any function problems. If the grouping is off, sell it and find another. Once ya get one that makes the grade put a good scope on it and have fun.

Nick T

It's a survival instinct. Makes them harder to catch for everything that hunts them.
i guess so

doesnt stop a bullet :)

- - - Updated - - -

^^^this^^^

Tried it on one this morning and all it did was make him find the next county like his tail was on fire. It was a good hit too, could see the bark splinters through the scope.

When you find a pawn 60 put a cheap scope on it ya have laying around. Check for function and grouping. If you have FFT or FTE problems take it apart and give it a good cleaning and try again. Most of the time that'll take care of any function problems. If the grouping is off, sell it and find another. Once ya get one that makes the grade put a good scope on it and have fun.

Nick T
GROUP HUG!

- - - Updated - - -

^^^this^^^

Nick T
GROUP HUG!

Back
Top Bottom