• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting with a pistol

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
OK guys, I have been hunting for a long time, and have always heard that to hunt deer with a pistol, it had to have a six inch minimum barrel, and 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy. In looking at the regs, it only says .22 caliber and larger. Is that all there is to it now?
I remember 30 years ago that the regs were very specific. IIRC, it even specified that a .357 magnum was the minimum caliber, but only with certain ammo that met the requirements.

Too long before somebody mentioned that important point.
Having said that, it is 'legal' to deer hunt with a .25acp. :tsk:
Exactly. When I bought my first pistol, with the intention of shooting a deer, it was a .357 magnum, and the only ammo that met the 500 foot pounds of energy was the CCI Lawman. I used that for a while until I upgraded to a .44 magnum, and then a 30-30 Contender. So, without clarification in the regs, someone could use the .25acp. My idiot neighbor was at it again this past weekend, shooting at an 8 pointer with a Glock 9mm at 75 yards. With approximately 350 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, I figure it would have about enough power to penetrate the skin, and wound him. We found no hair or blood, which may be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom