• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting with an SBR?

gober13

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
478   0
Reaction score
Ok guys, never hunted before but have been thinking about going with a buddy this year. Realistically what kinda range do i need to stay within with a 8.2" .300blk. I know its not the ideal hunting set up but its the closest i have. Thanks

I've hunted with my .556 SBR with a 7.5" barrel for 2 years. Killed everything inside 100 yards no problem using an AP Pro optic. I'd think the same for 300BO. Outside of 100 it's still doable you'll just need something other than a red dot to ensure a kill shot.

What zero distance did you set? You'll get some decent drops past 100yd... but with the right zero and optic configuration, I don't see why it couldn't be pushed further.

You'd need to use a ballistics calculator to see what kind of drop to expect with your preferred loads.

My 300blk is configured as a PDW only... I did a 50yd zero and that keeps my POI within 2.5" between 0 and 75yd.

A 100yd zero on the same load yielded a 3.5" difference around 50yd... and dropped like a rock at 120yd+

So, with 300blk, you need to settle on the load and a distance with some influence from the optic. They have a dedicated 300blk optic. Is that the one you have? http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-300

Or something like the 512? Which reticle? The single dot or the dual dot?

Back
Top Bottom