• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting with lead bullets?

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
Anyone out loading a cast lead bullet for deer hunting? I'm looking to work up a load for my Marlin 45-70 to hunt with next season. I like the idea of a big flat meplat and running it up to near what the bullet is ratet for but I dont even know what bullet I will use yet or even if I will be using mild smokeless loads or a black powder substitute so all of your loads and experiences will be useful.

I've got 500 of these bullets ordered to play around with for now:

http://www.pennbullets.com/4570/4570-caliber.html

and will be loading them with IMR 4198 for now as I have plenty on hand. Got a max load of 36gr for 1750 fps from:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Thanks for yalls help

If you shoot them in the head, it really doesn't matter. A 22 LR will do the trick out to about 100 yds.
True enough, but I've always been one to put it in the ribs. IMO the meat is better when you let him run his own blood out, like sticking a hog. Sooo not trying to get a shot placement thread started in the reloading section so for the sake of this load I will add a prerequisite that this load be suitable for chest shots at moderate range.

tons of Buffalo were killed with cast lead bullets so you 45-70 will do fine....who cares if it expands.. it's a 45

4198 is a good 45-70 powder along with 3031 and 4064

I used a hornady 300gr JHP in mine for years till I gave the rifle away....

HMM? been years since I deer hunted, but doesn't the regulations require an expanding point projectile?
Yes its still in the regs but legally even hard cast are considered "expanding"...not that I have a source for that though other than a retired warden.

I used a hornady 300gr JHP in mine for years till I gave the rifle away....

I've got some of those Hornady 300gr JHP too. Thats what I was working with till I got the cast bullet bug.

Back
Top Bottom