• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting with open sights

Even though I am chronologically experienced, I shoot competition pistol with open sights. I like the challenge and usually fare quite well against the younger competition. I hunt deer with Smith revolvers with open sights as well. I have rifles with optics, too. Just depends on the situation.

We always have an "open sights lever day" at the hunt camp each year, too. It usually lasts for more than one day...!
One of the things I like about iron sights is that it forces you to be more patient and plan your shot a little better, at least for me personally.

I have nothing against optics by any means, it's just currently my personal choice.

Personally I find that iron sights cover up a lot more of the deer than crosshairs do.

13890.jpeg

13893.jpeg

Took my first deer with iron sights on a black powder rifle. I enjoy using only iron sights with black powder but all my other hunting rifles have scopes. Although I've thought about using only irons with the 30-30 I got from Vincent Vega Vincent Vega
Good luck buddy. We're finally closer to opening day of a new season than the close of last season. It will be here before you know it.

Back
Top Bottom