• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC Unit. Repair leak or replace?

sparked1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
206   0
Reaction score
paging @captdave77

One of my units appears to have a serious leak. It’s 12 years old. Tech came out and recharged it but was low again a week later. Bought some Nu Calgon Easy Seal leak stopper and recharged again. This time it lost most of the freon in 24 hours!

I believe I could easily spend $1500 finding the leak (evacuate system, fill with nitrogen, patch leak, refill system, sounds complicated and expensive) plus what I already spent on R22 and service. And that doesn’t guarantee me anything. A new unit is around $4-5k. Seems I’m better off just buying a new unit.

What am I missing? Has anyone had success with finding and plugging a leaking A/C unit? I’m about 90% certain the leak is in the evap coil. What a racquet.

I am a bubba handyman and I agree with replacing it. You could try the leak stop (I have no experience with how successful that stuff is in a home AC) since you have nothing to loose and will be replacing the line set anyways (it gums up everything) when upgrading to 410 Freon.

More than likely you can't fix the leak in the evap coil plus don't use that stop leak crap, usually makes it worse than better. I say new unit, r22 is getting phased out and only going to get more expensive. And yes I'm a hvac/r service tech not bubba handyman

Seems like a relatively short lifespan for a major system. :tsk:

I use good filters and change them every couple of months. I opened up the evap coil panel and clean as a whistle on both sides. Condenser fins stay clean. Luck of the draw I guess?? Its the upstairs unit so I suppose its working a lot harder than downstairs. Plus its in the scorching hot and humid attic. How people get systems that last 20-30 years I don’t understand. Anyhow, thanks.

I use good filters and change them every couple of months. I opened up the evap coil panel and clean as a whistle on both sides. Condenser fins stay clean. Luck of the draw I guess?? Its the upstairs unit so I suppose its working a lot harder than downstairs. Plus its in the scorching hot and humid attic. How people get systems that last 20-30 years I don’t understand. Anyhow, thanks.
More than likely happe in the u bins on the coil. Older units seem to last longer, almost like its a racket now only last 10 years or so.

Is their rust on the sides where the copper u bins are? Usually where it happens at, hell my mother in law coil only lasted 8 years and got a leak

Whats the brand

Attic units work A LOT harder than basement/crawlspace air handlers. And they never achieve full cooling since they're always trying to cool the unit/ducts before ever cooling the home. 100% of the life of a unit depends on the quality of the unit itself. And another 100% depends on the guy installing it. If they pulled a quicky vacuum and left any moisture in the system, the acid will rot out the system in just a few years.

Attic units work A LOT harder than basement/crawlspace air handlers. And they never achieve full cooling since they're always trying to cool the unit/ducts before ever cooling the home. 100% of the life of a unit depends on the quality of the unit itself. And another 100% depends on the guy installing it. If they pulled a quicky vacuum and left any moisture in the system, the acid will rot out the system in just a few years.
New thing now a days is to spray foam the attic and then have a small duct of supply air for it.

And yes i say it all the time, most issues result from poor installation

Back
Top Bottom