• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC Unit. Repair leak or replace?

They make fluorescent dyes you can inject into the system, its messy but does pin point the leaks. By the time you fix the leak, pump down, swap refrigerants, oil, possible coil, your gonna be spending a good amount anyways for a system that isn't gonna last too much longer. I would get a new one imho

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Found the leak. Well, found A leak at least, and its a big one. Check out those bubbles!

F80865FD-3F66-4685-B6CF-A342814E373C.jpeg

So is there a way to fix a leak without pulling the coil? If they have to pull the coil, not messing with it. I have two companies coming today and Monday for replacement quotes.

@harrycalahan Mr. Goodbar Mr. Goodbar

Attachments

• 22718FA0-3C22-4073-BCE3-3B32F455A884.jpeg
    22718FA0-3C22-4073-BCE3-3B32F455A884.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 11
It's been at least 7years now that I had a leak in the attic airhandler. Had a guy come out and put the stop leak in and it held for a season and started to leak again. He put another can of stop leak in and it's been holding for the last 7years. I'd say give it a shot and see how it goes. The units are now 21 years old (Trane) and still going. No other major failures other than capacitors.

Btw- since we're doing a home remodel we're upgrading the units with Goodmans in the next few weeks. Hopefully they'll last as long as the Trane's

EDIT: The units were Carrier (NOT Trane)

Found the leak. Well, found A leak at least, and its a big one. Check out those bubbles!

View attachment 2211823

So is there a way to fix a leak without pulling the coil? If they have to pull the coil, not messing with it. I have two companies coming today and Monday for replacement quotes.

@harrycalahan Mr. Goodbar Mr. Goodbar
Is their not bubbles on the left and right?

Back
Top Bottom