• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC Unit. Repair leak or replace?

Our 11 year old Bryant unit stopped working last Thursday. Tech came out on Friday and replaced the giant capacitor. He also showed us a service bulletin Bryant put out on our compressor that indicated some units were faulty and would be replaced under warranty if the unit were 10 years old or less.

Monday night the unit stopped again. Tuesday the tech said the compressor had crapped out. We got two bids for a replacement system (five stage variable speed outside unit, evaporator coil and wifi thermostat). It's 19 SEER and is only 56 db when running. Had it installed yesterday.

Today's evaporator coils only last 13 to 15 years. We run the AC hard and have two to three Golden's in the house. We probably can't change the filter enough. Dirty filter makes a compressor work harder.

House is 25 years old. We've been in it 21 years. First unit lasted 14 years, second lasted 11 years. I will be changing filters frequently with this new unit.
I get filters at Filterby.com Much cheaper, and well made, they are in Anniston, AL, IIRC

Our 11 year old Bryant unit stopped working last Thursday. Tech came out on Friday and replaced the giant capacitor. He also showed us a service bulletin Bryant put out on our compressor that indicated some units were faulty and would be replaced under warranty if the unit were 10 years old or less.

Monday night the unit stopped again. Tuesday the tech said the compressor had crapped out. We got two bids for a replacement system (five stage variable speed outside unit, evaporator coil and wifi thermostat). It's 19 SEER and is only 56 db when running. Had it installed yesterday.

Today's evaporator coils only last 13 to 15 years. We run the AC hard and have two to three Golden's in the house. We probably can't change the filter enough. Dirty filter makes a compressor work harder.

House is 25 years old. We've been in it 21 years. First unit lasted 14 years, second lasted 11 years. I will be changing filters frequently with this new unit.
Can also install a filter or filter media in the return if its ground level to help with all the fur

Pm me or post here the prices, just curious if you don't mind

Costco (Cool Air Mechanical) came in at $4350 for a 2 ton Lennox 16 SEER unit and coil. Minus Costco cash back, net cost is $3828 with tax. Much better than I was expecting. Of course they wanted to sell me a whole new 2-stage system for over $9k (Still 16 SEER). LOL. I have another quote scheduled for Monday.

Costco (Cool Air Mechanical) came in at $4350 for a 2 ton Lennox 16 SEER unit and coil. Minus Costco cash back, net cost is $3828 with tax. Much better than I was expecting. Of course they wanted to sell me a whole new 2-stage system for over $9k (Still 16 SEER). LOL. I have another quote scheduled for Monday.
I would check to see if any rebates.

Give me a call tomorrow.
See what he says if you haven't done anything yet. I think i could do it cheaper

Any recommendations on a good honest HVAC guy to replace a system in the Braselton area. I may be wrong, but feel the big name companies only cost more for less service.
YES! Alex Vakulich. He's at my house right now replacing 2 outside units and both air handlers in the attic. I know him through some close friends who he's done hvac replacements for. Very reasonbly priced.

Here's the kicker. He's your neighbor, lives right there in Braselton. I'll post his biz card

AIV Technical Services
Alex Vakulich
470-577-6477

Back
Top Bottom