• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hydroseed vs sod for big rocky yard ( please help weigh in )

First picture below is on rocky clay soil that I had hydro seeded…. It didn’t do good (the second picture is 50 yards to the right where the original hydro seed results still exist). I was in happy with the hydro so I disc tilled and rotto tilled the (first picture) and seeded (after liming). I fertilized and now am working on weed control.

As you can see the first picture is much better than the hydro seed picture that joining the area however I will note that the hydro seed (now grass) is slowly covering the naked/bare spots and given two/three years may cover the bulk of what is bare

The third picture gives you an idea of the rocky terrain that was in both spots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 19
If you are on the east side of Cartersville, I’d be glad to take a look for free advice. I’m just across the line in Cherokee.
Your extension agent I believe is Paul Pugliese who use be here. He’s been at it a while if need more than a soil test. I’d dig down a foot all over the yard to sample what you are truly dealing with.

If you are on the east side of Cartersville, I’d be glad to take a look for free advice. I’m just across the line in Cherokee.
Your extension agent I believe is Paul Pugliese who use be here. He’s been at it a while if need more than a soil test. I’d dig down a foot all over the yard to sample what you are truly dealing with.
Where is Paul located at?

You need to have some good soil brought in, graded, irrigated, and the right turf (hours of sunlight), maintained and fertilized (weed control after established)properly.
I can come by and take a look if you want. Lmk

I got hosed from our builder and now have a new construction house with zero grass.

We tried seeding and strawing and got zero results.

I need some opinions on buying sod Vs hydro seeding this rocky yard.

I got a quote for 10 feet around the house for around $9000 for sod and prep work , that would be fine but ….

The bad news? I have about 200 foot of front yard..

With that being said, do you guys recommending that I Harley rake the property and try hydroseeding it?

I’ve been warned (of course by sod guys ) to be careful dumping a bunch of money into seeding and getting bad results

What’s y’all’s opinion? Do sod in increments and pay out the wazoo or try hydro seeding?
View attachment 4460042
Get a soil sample to the Extension agent to determine the nutrient values. The extension agent could provide free technical assistance and provide a plan to fix the visible problems. The Federal Natural Resources Conservation Service also provides free technical assistance as does the Georgia State Soil and Water Conservation Commission based in Athens.

I'm guessing that most of that hill was graded and lost the majority of it's nutrient soil.

I'd cover it with as much free mulch as you can find and let nature take it's course. Bush hog it when it gets too thick, doing that for a year or two if your patient, the longer would better prepare the soil. That'll create enough organic material to break down and fertilize the ground for future plans. After that start mowing, or tilling to prepare to seed or sod. Dispersing your coffee grounds throughout the yard wouldn't hurt either or starting your own compost to spread yourself would also quicken the process.

Trying to sod or seed on soil that has no nutrients will get short term results till the grass has used what nutrients available & dies.

It isn't quick or fancy, but it'll give you good results that'll last for years when it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom