• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I absolutely hate MRI's

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
Today was the last straw for me....I'll never and I do mean NEVER go through a closed MRI again. It seems like every time I get one I get a little more claustrophobic! Unfortunately I have to have somewhere between 6-9 MRI's a year. It finally broke me today, 20 minutes into a 1.5 hour MRI I was hitting the call button to get out. The cage was over my face(touching my eye lids), my shoulders were pinned against the inner wall, and man....I just started getting hot and short of breath. It was the most horrible situation I've been in, even the Valium didn't help......needless to say I ended up losing my breakfast.

Anyone else have a bad experience in one?

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Hopefully you can find a provider who has the open model.

I got a little claustrophobic just reading your post!

Yeah, from now on, open MRI or no MRI! Last one was a 45 minute fiasco. I could not lay flat, my shoulders were too wide. The top of the "cage" was less than an inch away, no room for my arms, and they kept telling me to relax. How the heck are you supposed to relax when you don't fit the dang machine? I made it through, but never, never again.

There's got to be an open machine closer than Gainesville. The one at my ortho's office is open IIRC.

And yeah...at 6'2" and almost 300 lbs. - screw a closed machine.

St. Joseph's has a nice open Hitachi .7t. I service and install MRIs. Opens aren't as good as closed, from an image quality standpoint and really aren't very open. Your nose is still a few inches from the top cover.

Back
Top Bottom