• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I always wanted to hunt coyotes in the snow, but living in Georgia...

They don't seem to learn....

Attachments

• c6e055c5-9291-4956-ae7a-b65b0936169c.jpg
    c6e055c5-9291-4956-ae7a-b65b0936169c.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 28
I had an encounter with a pair last week that were behind my house in Gwinnett. Saturday morning at 9:30, and they were hunting the power line. Tried to decide what to shoot without scaring the neighbors, so I grabbed my suppressed. 22 bolt rifle. I pulled down a window, and they turned away from me at about 100 yards. Shooting standard velocity rounds, I put the cross hair on the top of one's head and shot. He did a back flip and rolled around in the tall grass for five minutes. He was growling and snarling the whole time. After a few minutes he staggered into the woods, bouncing off of trees. I don't think he will eat anymore fawns. Unfortunately, I got pics of two the next night. I think I may switch to the suppressed 300 BO.

I had an encounter with a pair last week that were behind my house in Gwinnett. Saturday morning at 9:30, and they were hunting the power line. Tried to decide what to shoot without scaring the neighbors, so I grabbed my suppressed. 22 bolt rifle. I pulled down a window, and they turned away from me at about 100 yards. Shooting standard velocity rounds, I put the cross hair on the top of one's head and shot. He did a back flip and rolled around in the tall grass for five minutes. He was growling and snarling the whole time. After a few minutes he staggered into the woods, bouncing off of trees. I don't think he will eat anymore fawns. Unfortunately, I got pics of two the next night. I think I may switch to the suppressed 300 BO.
I've tried every possible round in .22lr including velocitors and inteceptors (highest energy available) often well inside 100 yards and have never dropped one with the exception of one that I hit in the spine (still required a finisher) at about 30 yards. It's just not sufficient. But I don't take head shots either as it's just too risky to 'me'. (I did it once with a .260.) I've had one drop without a twitch with .22wmr but almost all have ran off. As far as that goes shot one with a .22-250 THREE times from about 60 or so yards and it was still dancing. Was walking over to finish with a .44 and it finally expired.
I HATE not having something die instantly. If I had a suppressed centerfire, it would definitely be what I'd use.

Back
Top Bottom