• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am baffled at sighting in my rifle

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
My M&P Sport 2 is accurate as all get out, but I am completely at a loss with what is happening here...I am using a Redfield Revolution 2x7x32 scope and a Burris PEPR QD mount. At 30 yards I am making a 1/2" group (roughly, all holes touching) dead center of the bull. At 120 yards (approx) I am shooting a 1" group but it is 8" high. Left and right and still perfect, but what would cause an 8" high shot...? The group is perfect, and like I said, left and right are dead on. What in the world is going on? Anyone?

994CEA53-252A-480A-A694-50ACC5513B2D.jpeg
See this article. https://www.ammoland.com/2014/06/how-to-zero-your-ar-15-rifle/#axzz5A3K9NFTb

The front of your scope is pointing down..

Stand back and look at it...

Maybe..? It really does not appear to be pointed down or up. Looks very level, but I need to confirm to be sure.

I have fired a lot of rifles, and plenty of AR's, so a 100-120 yard shot is something I can do in my sleep. I've never had a shot rise 8" at 100 yards. It has to be an issue with the scope mount, I'm thinking, but can't be sure.

My M&P Sport 2 is accurate as all get out, but I am completely at a loss with what is happening here...I am using a Redfield Revolution 2x7x32 scope and a Burris PEPR QD mount. At 30 yards I am making a 1/2" group (roughly, all holes touching) dead center of the bull. At 120 yards (approx) I am shooting a 1" group but it is 8" high. Left and right and still perfect, but what would cause an 8" high shot...? The group is perfect, and like I said, left and right are dead on. What in the world is going on? Anyone?

MRH, look at imaybail's post. Your near zero is 30 yards. If it's a .223 REM, your far zero will be at about 300 yards.
The 8" high at 120 yards is likely close to your maximum ordinate.

Nothing is wrong except you do not zero AR's at 30 yds. It should be at least inch to inch and a half low at that range. your sights are about 2" or more above your bore line. Zero it at 55yds and it will be a little high at 100 and zeroed at about 200.

Back
Top Bottom