• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am baffled at sighting in my rifle

I sight my rifles in at 100 too because that's about the range I normally shoot. Sometimes closer, sometimes farther, but 100 yards is about where I will be shooting.

I've sighted rifles all my life and have never had an 8" difference between 30-120 yards, but normally I sight around 100 and my closer shots are only a bit high...Like maybe 1"...

I appreciate all of the feedback. I learned something new today, and I know the rifle is very accurate.

The reason you see a difference with this rifle vs. others is probably because the AR has a greater sight offset, so the launch angle to zero at 30 yards is steeper. Steeper starting angle equals greater difference in the ballistic arc.

We cover this during the Known Distance training module when you attend an Appleseed training event.

The reason you see a difference with this rifle vs. others is probably because the AR has a greater sight offset, so the launch angle to zero at 30 yards is steeper. Steeper starting angle equals greater difference in the ballistic arc.

We cover this during the Known Distance training module when you attend an Appleseed training event.

zeroing a Rem 700 .308 with a 20 moa mount at 25 yards gives me tremendous flexibility to 'reach out there' but you have to remember to hold under (make sure you have a reticule that supports this) up to almost 300 yards before you can use the crosshairs in the scope.

Yep I see that clearly now.

Yall were right, and I thank everyone who shared their input. Took it out this afternoon, shot one round at 50 yards, and it was approx. 2 1/2" high, so I dialed it in and put the next round dead center. Moved out to approx. 120 yards, put the crosshairs in the center, maybe a hair high, and again hit dead center. Moved up to 30 yards, again dead center. Interesting what a difference it makes sighting at 50 yards.

I will also say that the M&P15 sport is one hell of an accurate rifle. I had shot it before with irons and already knew it is accurate, but with a decent scope properly sighted it is really fantastic for the money. Now that I have that mother dialed in I am completely confident with it.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom