• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am buying a house. Not looking forward to moving. Affordable suggestions?

I was in the Air Force for 23 years all over the world, and every move was provided by the government. A team of people would hit the house, pack everything with way more packing than required and have a full size house packed up and in wooden shipping boxes in less than a day. Upon arrival at the new house everything was unpacked, put away, packing removed and the house ready to go in less than a day. I made many moves that way.

My daughter is in California with her Navy husband. They have orders to Jacksonville in January. They have found that due to COVID and no one wanting to work that the government will only provide one packer who may or may not do a good job (and may or may not be from this country) and they will put the stuff on one truck, take it to a central hub, unload it and wait for you to get housing at the next base. No way in hell we are going with that. They have been there for 6 years now and have a house full but they are selling most of the furniture, they will pack up the stuff themselves, rent a truck and a trailer for one of the vehicles and move on down here and if they can't find a place quick enough, they will unload all the stuff into my basement until they have a place. The government will pay them mileage and per diem and moving cost plus a stipend for doing it themself.

The moral of this story is that just as most of the fast food places can't get anyone to work, movers can't get anyone to work either. You would be better off having an estate sale (move everything you don't want into 2 or 3 rooms and then block off the rest of them and let the buffalo herd fall down in the middle of it. Price it fair or take offers and it'll all be gone in a day or two. Then move yourself or get some ODT folks to come by and help you (I'll move some ammo for you cheaply, and you won't have to count it to make sure it is all there).

Good luck with your move.

Back
Top Bottom