• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am done with safe Queens / BBQ guns!

redtail

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Over the last year I have weeded out all my (to pretty to carry) pistols. I ditched the last one today. A sig p229 Stainless Elite. It was a great gun but not one I wanted to scratch up. I did however pick up a Legion P226 SAO that I totally plan on beetling the crap out of. (not really but plan on caring it a good bit when I don't have to do deep cover carry.) and plan on shooting the heck out of it!

It is not about how much it cost. Just over buying a gun that looks great and shots great but never really using it other than a range gun or a trophy.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it and if funds we unlimited I would have a room full of them. Now I am dedicating my funds to guns that I am willing to get a scar on and not worry about it.

I have let go some works of art but no one ever saw them. They were kept in a dark safe and not enjoyed.

Time to move on to tools and toys!

I feel the same way about a lot of guns I own. If you start looking at my AR's you will see that more than a couple of them have been to the woods with me hunting and have some marks on them. To me, guns are tools (nice tools) and meant to be used.

I have a newer jeep and I bet it has more scratches than most jeeps 10 years older. I bought a Jeep to be able to go places and thats what I do. I remember one of my friends looking at me like I was crazy when I was driving down trails and tree limbs running down the side. I responded "It's a Jeep".

Not me. I have a few "tools" (Glocks) But I love taking out and shooting my nice stuff. When I give them up and it all becomes utilitarian then I guess I will need to find a new hobby.

That is just it. I started collecting as a hobby and ended up with a safe full of money that could be used for something else. Nothing wrong with collecting nice things!
Until I win the lotto I am going to spend the money on living! Making memories with the kids and saving so that one day I can retire, Than in my boredom of being retired I will probably start collecting again.

That is just it. I started collecting as a hobby and ended up with a safe full of money that could be used for something else. Nothing wrong with collecting nice things!
Until I win the lotto I am going to spend the money on living! Making memories with the kids and saving so that one day I can retire, Than in my boredom of being retired I will probably start collecting again.

I agree with that. I don't collect so much as I like to aquire. I have no desire to own a rare Colt or S&W revo for investment purposes. But a nice Garand, Colt 1911 or Browning HiPower is what I consider centerfold material. I take care of my guns and use them. But there are some I like to much to use as a tool. Just like I wouldn't have kate upton running errands or going grocery shoppping for me! But i would dang sure take her out to the range once in awhile.

I'm right there with you. I finally got one of my unicorns, a flawless Colt 1911 Gold Cup. Now I am near terrified to pick it up. Sometimes I think a non colt 1911 shooter and a long distance rifle I can beat on would be more fun... then I think what the Gold Cup would be worth if Colt goes heals up. as my daughter says #firstworldproblems

Back
Top Bottom