• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I believe this says it is illegal to shoulder a "Stabilizing Brace"

My thoughts on this is we as a gun owners keep holding ourselves up as law abiding citizens. This brace/ stock thing does not do anything to bolster that argument. I do not agree with laws concerning SBR and SBS but it is the law and being seen to try and circumvent the law weakens our position as law abiding .
Boom.

If the overall length of a AR pistol is 26" does anything change? Does it becomes one of those AOW things that can be made legal with a $5 stamp?

What about a brace on a 16" barrel gun? Is it still designed to be fired with one hand because of the brace? Does it become a pistol because of the brace? Would shouldering it be legal?

Couldn't disagree more.. by that logic we should just do away with AR and AK pistols all together, they are themselves a way of "circumventing" the law.
That's really not a valid comparison. The Sig brace is a blatant attempt to circumvent NFA laws already in place. AR & AK pistols don't circumvent any laws, they just redefine, for some, what a pistol can be.

Last edited:
My thoughts on this is we as a gun owners keep holding ourselves up as law abiding citizens. This brace/ stock thing does not do anything to bolster that argument. I do not agree with laws concerning SBR and SBS but it is the law and being seen to try and circumvent the law weakens our position as law abiding .
when the law is altered out of opinion by unelected bureaucrats, i am inclined to follow the original law (see the 2nd amendment)

If the overall length of a AR pistol is 26" does anything change? Does it becomes one of those AOW things that can be made legal with a $5 stamp?

What about a brace on a 16" barrel gun? Is it still designed to be fired with one hand because of the brace? Does it become a pistol because of the brace? Would shouldering it be legal?
It's still 200 to register as a AOW. Then 5 to transfer it.

That's really not a valid comparison. The Sig brace is a blatant attempt to circumvent NFA laws already in place. AR & AK pistols don't circumvent any laws, they just redefine, for some, what a pistol can be.
AK and AR "pistols" are nothing more than sbr's without a stock. Same as the Sig brace no one would even consider owning one if it wasn't for the NFA laws. They're are a way of working within the law just like the brace.

I actually think this new letter by the ATF opens up more problems for them than it solves. So now the issue is actually how you use the modification and not the modification itself. Get ready for triangular wrist braces for all pistol models. Magazine attachable triangular wrist braces for Glock's, 1911's, H&K's, you name it. As long as you are not seen shouldering them then no problem. Build them all you want. This logic path really tears down some of the bite the rules had to them. I would bet prosecutors will have nightmares over this one. Admittedly they opened Pandora's box when they approved the Sig Brace, but this is not the way to remedy what they see as a mistake now. It will be interesting to watch what they do. The problem the gun community faces is that these rules are enforced by a large government agency that will come at you with your own tax money and the point of their own weapons. It's an uphill fight no matter what illogical conclusion they decide to finally stand upon. (Shaking head in disgust)......
but how could they not approve it?

if they want to rely on ****ty opinion and what is "technically" correct, they better deal with people who will figure out a way around their petty little laws

personally, I just dont understand the thought process of the ATF(im sure I am not alone).But, you can easily shoulder an AR pistol by resting the buffer tube against your shoulder. Why does adding an accessory to make it more comfortable all the sudden change the classification? On a side note, this is the result of every idiot out there that was calling up asking the ATF if, "shouldering" the brace was legal or if it changed the classification to SBR...

I still wanna know if you shoulder a Rossi ranch hand pistol are you breaking any laws.

Also is the act of simply shouldering the Sig brace illegal even if you don't fire it?

Back
Top Bottom