• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I believe this says it is illegal to shoulder a "Stabilizing Brace"

The letters have all been opinion letters haven't they? The brace was approved by the atf and everything since has been opinion.
The "approval" was for the design, which indicated use as a brace. Later, an opinion was issued that stated a brace could be shouldered. Then, the gun world went ape****, Sig sold thousands of them and everyone was happy because they had an end-around to SBRs. The Internet insisted that they were in the clear because of a letter. And everyone rejoiced.

Subsequently, a dissenting letter is issued, revoking the prior opinion that everyone used to justify their previous purchase. But oddly enough, people are now routinely spouting off at the mouth and advising people to ignore it. It's no different than advising someone to put a vfg on their pistol, use a "solvent trap" as a suppressor, own an illegal SBR or make a homemade machine gun.

The ATF has made clear their opinion and people would be well advised to not test the ATF. While I was never a fan of the brace and I understand how people might feel about the change of opinion, it doesn't change the fact that it's now as illegal as anything I mentioned above. What an individual chooses to do is their business. But I think it is an extremely bad idea for people to be advising others to disregard the new opinion. It's not something that should be taken so flippantly. One person's bad advice could land a stranger in prison. Unfortunately, the only opinion that matters in this case is the opinion of the ATF.

What law would he be breaking? ATF doesn't get to make laws as they see fit. This is outside of their "power", whether they like it or not. This is tyranny at it's finest.
They cited the codes in the last letter. You are correct, they don't make the laws, but they can interpret them with impunity. Don't like it? Well, then you'll have to take them on in court.

Last edited:
I think they are attacking intent. If you put on a brace with the intent of just using as it was designed your fine. If you intend on making a SBR that you don't get a tax stamp for than it is illegal. All they will have to prove is illegal intent and you are prison bound. I get it but don't like it.

It would be a separate case, more money and they have a limitless supply of money, they create it.
They do not CREATE anything. They TAKE it from the working people. They do print it in excess but that just serves to reduce the value of the money that the working people have earned. That still falls under the heading of taking to me. Thanks Paul

They do not CREATE anything. They TAKE it from the working people. They do print it in excess but that just serves to reduce the value of the money that the working people have earned. That still falls under the heading of taking to me. Thanks Paul

Currency (only gold and silver are money) is CREATED (out of thin air) when banks make loans and when the Fed buys U.S. Treasury's.....effectively the same as printing currency...to finance deficit spending by the gov't. TAXES are really a form of gov't control....they barely finance entitlements. With the debt/GDP ratio now over 100, we truly are a banana republic.

Back
Top Bottom