• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I bought some bulk rice and beans. How do I store them?

OP, a few years back I found any grocery store that has a bakery would literally give me the icing buckets for free….

It’s a little tougher getting them now as the public has caught onto it.

The icing buckets are food grade, gasket seals, and anywhere from 2-4 gal. I collected around 10 each trip and super easy to clean out with hot soapy water…

This being said, after you get around 50+ buckets… it gets a little hard on the steel storage shelves lol.

Old Fashioned Rolled Oat meal, sugar, rice, dried beans, and lead all fit nicely. Don’t forget labels LOL

Don’t forget the most important item… H2O

This is essentially a 1k case of 9mm for $180…. This is about 20 min ago

I think everyone should buy what they can to set aside but you know everyone seemed to have missed the ammo when the pickings were good…

84669CB1-F1C7-4C47-9A57-E1C6CA5A6C4A.jpeg
F0338B31-3FF4-4288-9D7C-ECC8B07C35F6.jpeg
932B7322-691B-4131-BA5F-30E413EC9655.jpeg
2A4FFED8-6997-4342-851A-B6EEA604B3B8.jpeg

I picked up 25 pounds of rice over the weekend. Mylar bag an O2 absorbers came in today. I’m going to throw the rice in the deep freezer tonight and probably pack it this weekend. I need to find some beans but I didn’t see them at Costco. Maybe I missed them but I’ll head back this weekend.

I bought some bulk rice and beans at Sam's Club.
I had thought to separate them into smaller vacuum sealed bags but I've been reading that this might cause some fungus to grow.
I have 25lb bags of rice, black beans and I plan to get some more.
What do you guys do?
I had a lady who works at Kroger's tell me that what I better start doing.

Sam’s Club in Columbus just before 6pm today
I bought that same bag last weekend. it filled about eight 1 gallon mylar bags. That I then put in a rubbermaid bin for storage in the garage. One 1 gallon bag will last me a little over a week, with just me eating. That's eating just rice for the majority of my carbs in a 2000 calorie plan. With a little fruit thrown in.

I just keep rotating as I go. Haven't had any issues.

You can get 5 gal food grade buckets at firehouse subs 3$ a piece . If the pickle smell bothers you set them out in the sun everyday for a week . You can store small bags of rice and dry beans in the packaging it comes in these buckets for years without any thing ! I have done it . Altho 02 absorbers are a good thing . Just saying if your starting out on a budget , this will get you going.

I would freeze first for at least a few days to kill the rice weavils.
I’m not trying to be a douche to your thread but my wife’s grandfather told me not to worry about putting flour or rice or any grains in the freezer to kill bugs because all the years he’s done it he used a bay leaf in each bag or jar he sealed and by putting it in the freezer it will introduce moisture which could cause mold.
I’ve never frozen and thawed anything first before packaging and I’ve stored stuff like this from the early 90’s for years with zero bugs or weevils found.
If anything they’ll add some extra protein to you meal….lol, but I’ve never had issues.
Don’t need a vac sealer with 02 absorbers.

Store in cool, dry place and preferably in a food grade bucket so the moce or rats won’t chew through your Mylar bag.

Back
Top Bottom