• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I bought some bulk rice and beans. How do I store them?

I’m not trying to be a douche to your thread but my wife’s grandfather told me not to worry about putting flour or rice or any grains in the freezer to kill bugs because all the years he’s done it he used a bay leaf in each bag or jar he sealed and by putting it in the freezer it will introduce moisture which could cause mold.
I’ve never frozen and thawed anything first before packaging and I’ve stored stuff like this from the early 90’s for years with zero bugs or weevils found.
If anything they’ll add some extra protein to you meal….lol, but I’ve never had issues.
Don’t need a vac sealer with 02 absorbers.

Store in cool, dry place and preferably in a food grade bucket so the moce or rats won’t chew through your Mylar bag.
I agree with the extra protein, maybe sift them out. But I have found weavils in rice, flour, corn meal and other things over the years. I've heard they are in every bag just depend on how fast you eat it.

I’m not looking for a long term food stash to be honest, more like a 24 month and rotate what we have regularly.

To be honest, I’m just trying to store enough to off set some food costs as well as have the ability to wait out standing in lines with hostile people if it came down to it.

Let Darwin sort it all out the first 90 days…

I’m not sure if anyone has ever watched any of those survivalist shows and noticed the first things everyone tries to acquire in stages.

Shelter, water, fire, food.

Normally I see situations where the person is dropped in a remote area so naturally the persons seek shelter first.

I can definitely see where people could consider grains in bulk as a priority and forget about a bulk clean water source.

Get a few Jerry jugs and bottle up what you think you need for a week and then multiple that by 20.

I’m not looking for a long term food stash to be honest, more like a 24 month and rotate what we have regularly.

To be honest, I’m just trying to store enough to off set some food costs as well as have the ability to wait out standing in lines with hostile people if it came down to it.

Let Darwin sort it all out the first 90 days…
Buying seeds may be a good option as well. After the first 90 days in some form or fashion the world will will settle on a normal. Won't be what it is now but it will be in a pattern of sorts and long term options then need to implemented.

Buying seeds may be a good option as well. After the first 90 days in some form or fashion the world will will settle on a normal. Won't be what it is now but it will be in a pattern of sorts and long term options then need to implemented.
Thats always a good idea , just make sure there not hybrids .

Back
Top Bottom