• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I didn't think it was legal to swap out...

Ok, but serious question here. Who the hell knows if it had a rifle or pistol upper on it first to determine what configuration its in a year from now? Is there some secret tracking device when you slam that second pin in to lock the upper each time. Is my personal ATF agent going to come give me a stern finger wag if I put a brace and pistol upper on a receiver that at some point, possibly first, maybe second had a rifle upper and stock? Someone please feel free to explain the logistics behind this? I highly doubt anyone is keeping a log of what goes on first and what goes on subsequent to that.
Nobody, the answer is nobody would know...

Ok, but serious question here. Who the hell knows if it had a rifle or pistol upper on it first to determine what configuration its in a year from now? Is there some secret tracking device when you slam that second pin in to lock the upper each time. Is my personal ATF agent going to come give me a stern finger wag if I put a brace and pistol upper on a receiver that at some point, possibly first, maybe second had a rifle upper and stock? Someone please feel free to explain the logistics behind this? I highly doubt anyone is keeping a log of what goes on first and what goes on subsequent to that.
No one would know and from the ATF agents I have spoken to, they really don't care. This would be another one of those things where they busted you for trafficking in arms or something and added the other lesser charges just for S&G. Just something for people to discuss on internet forums and sit around worrying about.

No one would know and from the ATF agents I have spoken to, they really don't care. This would be another one of those things where they busted you for trafficking in arms or something and added the other lesser charges just for S&G. Just something for people to discuss on internet forums and sit around worrying about.
That's what I figured. Couldn't figure out why there's so much worry unless you pop the pistol on your lower and head out with the stock still attached. I can see that being an issue (even though I don't agree with that either) but a receiver is a receiver as long as the components are paired correctly and its desgination is a receiver then it is what it is depending on what day it happens to be.

That's what I figured. Couldn't figure out why there's so much worry unless you pop the pistol on your lower and head out with the stock still attached. I can see that being an issue (even though I don't agree with that either) but a receiver is a receiver as long as the components are paired correctly and its desgination is a receiver then it is what it is depending on what day it happens to be.
I agree. But as stated earlier these laws were written decades before the AR platform came onto the scene and the laws are very slow to catch up.
I personally believe that barrel length restrictions (as well as NFA laws referring to SBRs and SBSs should be done away with but I doubt it will happen. I would love to see some actual statistics showing any number of crimes committed with short barreled rifles or AR pistols.

Back
Top Bottom