• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I didn't think it was legal to swap out...

And when I say "started out as a pistol lower" I mean the first time it was built it was built as a pistol. That is what determines whether it is a pistol or rifle. If first completed as a pistol it will always be a pistol lower and can be swapped back and forth as often as possible. If first completed as a rifle it can only ever be a rifle. It really makes no difference what an FFL transferred it as. Unless the manufacturer registered it as a rifle lower when they serialized it, you can build it either way. An FFL does not have the authority to change the classification of a weapon unless they are also the manufacturer and they actually assigned the serial number.
And this is why the ATF rules are so whacked. The same thing is legal in one config and not in the other.

ZERO common sense applied. Course, I feel the same about silencers and SBR's.... ZERO thought involved in making arbitrary rules.

And this is why the ATF rules are so whacked. The same thing is legal in one config and not in the other.

ZERO common sense applied. Course, I feel the same about silencers and SBR's.... ZERO thought involved in making arbitrary rules.
These are not "ATF Rules" they are laws passed by congress and signed by the president but these particular laws were written in 1934 saying a pistol can be reconfigured to a rifle but a rifle cannot be reconfigured to a pistol. Many of these laws are outdated and the AR platform is what made a lot of them obsolete but it is tough to get any new legislation done that isn't trying to ban something. In large part due to most legislators complete lack of understanding when it comes to anything gun related.

You can convert a pistol into a rifle and then back to a pistol - that is completely legal. Look at the T/C contender and encore format.

What you *cannot* do is convert a rifle into a pistol without filing the paperwork to make it a SBR or AOW.

Unbuilt lower receivers are neither rifle nor pistol, but can be built into either. What matters for the above discussion is how it was initially built. Of course there is no official way to document the initial status under a private build. Photographs might help. Honestly I'm not sure that anyone has ever been charged on home-builts, but it's possible.

You can convert a pistol into a rifle and then back to a pistol - that is completely legal. Look at the T/C contender and encore format.

What you *cannot* do is convert a rifle into a pistol without filing the paperwork to make it a SBR or AOW.

Unbuilt lower receivers are neither rifle nor pistol, but can be built into either. What matters for the above discussion is how it was initially built. Of course there is no official way to document the initial status under a private build. Photographs might help. Honestly I'm not sure that anyone has ever been charged on home-builts, but it's possible.
This was my understanding. I was only put off by the "unspecified" part of the ad. Could have started life as a 300 B/O pistol but wouldn't the lister say that if it were so?

This was my understanding. I was only put off by the "unspecified" part of the ad. Could have started life as a 300 B/O pistol but wouldn't the lister say that if it were so?
That would make sense but then you know, common sense is not that common these days.

Back
Top Bottom