• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I dont need a German Luger....I dont need a German Luger....I dont need a German Luger....

I've got 3 Lugers two from WWII one is near mint s/42 all matching except mag, cost $800, another cost me $700 all matching bottom all matching top but both are off by about 5k serials (both same year and manufacturer sooooo). Would like to think two guys cleaning in bunker, **** hits fan and they grab wrong top/bottom) but who knows. My final one from WWI I picked up all matching for $250 now the story here......at a big box store and overhear guy say he'd give $100 trade value for a rifle. Something spoke to me and said look....saw Luger and when they went apart while this guys thinking about it I tapped him on shoulder and said dude....worth easy $800.....(all matching cept mag) and well frankly I got $250 in my pocket......sold :-) (C&R so I took down the info needed for my records).
Point is.....want but be on lookout....it will come.
I'm still looking for my g43 and my broomhandle. Just hoping one day I can tell you guys a similar story about how I found them :-) doubtful though sigh I'll have to part with good change for them I'm sure.

Hey milsurp....you don't really need two broomhandles do you? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need at least one. Everyone needs at least one. The mechanical design and machining of the pre and post WWI samples is just amazing. I look at the P-08 Luger was to the German military as was Junkers JU-87 Stuka to the German Luftwaffa. Both overbuilt, bulky, clumsy looking, but in reality way far ahead of their time, and when they were really needed they were already outdated, but proved to still be very effective and useful. True working tools of the Germans.
300px-Junkers_Ju_87Ds_in_flight_Oct_1943.jpg

I've got 3 Lugers two from WWII one is near mint s/42 all matching except mag, cost $800, another cost me $700 all matching bottom all matching top but both are off by about 5k serials (both same year and manufacturer sooooo). Would like to think two guys cleaning in bunker, **** hits fan and they grab wrong top/bottom) but who knows. My final one from WWI I picked up all matching for $250 now the story here......at a big box store and overhear guy say he'd give $100 trade value for a rifle. Something spoke to me and said look....saw Luger and when they went apart while this guys thinking about it I tapped him on shoulder and said dude....worth easy $800.....(all matching cept mag) and well frankly I got $250 in my pocket......sold :-) (C&R so I took down the info needed for my records).
Point is.....want but be on lookout....it will come.
I'm still looking for my g43 and my broomhandle. Just hoping one day I can tell you guys a similar story about how I found them :-) doubtful though sigh I'll have to part with good change for them I'm sure.

Hey milsurp....you don't really need two broomhandles do you? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the story and have a few myself, like the time I walked in Ray O'Harron's and walked out with a new Smith (1st Edition) 610 for $405. They had a 686 for the same and I went back the next week but it was gone. I fear most of these good deals are gone. Since Bo was the POTUS the awareness and prices have both jumped on the elevator. I don't see it coing back down any time soon. To your point point, keep your ears open, good deals do still happen, but no wheres near the frequency that allowed many of us to add that one special gun to our collection. I cannot tell you the last time I saw 38/44 at, or near the $600 mark, but I keep looking.

Do you remember in the 80's when they were importing all those P-38 for a song and a dance. In the 90's the 1911 Ballaster Molinas were selling whole sale for $179 and they were cheap and plentiful, now some of those sell for more then a series 70 Colt.

Years ago there was a story in one of the gun mags about the only 2 45 caliber Lugers. They were sent over by Germany when the U S was testing the Colt 45 as a replacement for the 38. One of them were destroyed during testing. The other remained a mystery and disappeared until the 1990's when it went up for auction. A gun collector in California bought it for 1,000,000. Does anybody else recall this?

Back
Top Bottom