• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I feel bad/chance in a million?

But that's the thing, I was aiming for the shoulder and that's where it hit, but instead of punching through it ricocheted down through it's leg. It's got me rethinking shoulder shots now, but since I'm tagged out I'll have all spring and summer to think about it. :)

you can always have shots do weird crazy things that makes no sense. I will never forget a crossbow shot i watched my brother make, we were shooting a foam block and he wanted something bright and centered to aim at so we went and found a small red thin cloth bag, looked good so ran over to the block and taped it on. well he was probably 30 yards from it with 160lb draw crossbow and he hit it dead center, all i'll be damned to all hell but the arrow hit the bag and bounced right off like you shot it into steel and just flew off to the side. Blew both of our minds and if i hadnt have just seen it i would have called him a liar. he tried to replicate it and hit the bag in teh center 3 more times and every single other arrow went right through like it was paper. Crazy **** happens.

Shot a nice doe 2 weeks ago with same bullet and weight in my cheap old Remington783. About 80-90 yards, bullet went right through both lungs, shattered 3 ribs on exit. Deer went down grunted once and was gone. I don't shoulder shoot, always lung/heart area.

OP, here are a few examples. Google search each one for an accurate description. What happened to you was likely a totally random kind of thing. Deer are tough animals.
My bullet of choice is the Barnes TTSX or the TSX in the top left corner. The same thing is possible even with that bullet.
FAF448EE-B02B-45CE-AA61-C469EEF27AC4.jpeg

image.jpg

I had an 8 walk into range and aimed for the heart/lung shot and heard him crash about 30 yards away into the creek. My stand was right on the creek so I just went in and looked upstream, and he wasn't there.

I went back to where I shot him and found blood and lost the trail in 5 feet. Looked for 30-40 minutes and found him in a puddle 20 feet from the creek. Turns out that I hit him in the shoulder and didn't have a pass though so the blood trail just didn't happen.

First bullet that I ever recovered. It was lodged under the skin about 6 inches past the shoulder. Looked like a blister and had to look for the entrance wound. Federal Gold Bond XM68

I guess when the bullet hits bone **** is going to take over on how it travels, and what it does to an animal.

Glad you got him! Glad I got mine.

I'm not that savvy on bullet construction, what is the difference between an accubond and a spbt vital-shok?
S.M. I’m don’t have a clue.im not cutting your bullet just basically stating what works for me.i hunt and shoot only 5 + year old bucks that range from 210-250 lbs and having a bullet that will drill thru both shoulders without turning is very important to me.I didn’t reread thread so I don’t know if you load or purchase off store shelves but I’m sure you can get accubonds thru the nosler custom shop if can’t find them.good luck

S.M. I’m don’t have a clue.im not cutting your bullet just basically stating what works for me.i hunt and shoot only 5 + year old bucks that range from 210-250 lbs and having a bullet that will drill thru both shoulders without turning is very important to me.I didn’t reread thread so I don’t know if you load or purchase off store shelves but I’m sure you can get accubonds thru the nosler custom shop if can’t find them.good luck

I don't reload, but I'm looking into starting.

I am not a .308 fan for deer, but this situation is likely not the fault of the caliber. Bullets do strange things regardless of caliber. He also could have moved at the last second. Whats important is that he didnt suffer too long and you obviously care deeply about humanely taking game. Something I wish more people did. FWIW, 155 grain tend to perform better for deer than 165-175 in .308. Sure you will give up some BC, but the round will terminally perform better.
Congrats on your deer.

Back
Top Bottom