• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I feel bad for those just into 'modern' arms.

3.bp.blogspot.com__eNJbBuLRvLA_UNK7hdj6xjI_AAAAAAAAACA_zTtkASWN9xc_s1600_Gollum_gun.png

People view guns differently, from utilitarian tool, to heritage/collectible pieces and everything in between. I also realize every gun has it's function.
I'm fortunate in that my father was an avid (and accomplished) shooter. I grew up hunting with him and Christmas invariably meant a new gun. Given that, over the last couple days I've made it a point to take out each one, wipe it down, just give it a once over and reminisce a bit. I'm 51 (my father is long gone unfortunately). Most of my guns have manufacture dates from the 1960s-80s (some older, some newer). Some of the most basic, common ones are truly impressive. As I was cleaning them and appreciating (again) the quality of the bluing, the wood, the simple elegance and brilliance of the designs, and just overall craftsmanship, I was struck by a sad thought. I wonder if in 35 years from now, some 51 year old will be cleaning his AR or Glock with the same sort of appreciation and reverence. I can't fathom how it would be possible.
Fathers, buy your kids a classic gun or three, something that can really be an heirloom and literally last for generations. Adults that are just getting into shooting, buy YOURSELF a classic or three. There's just something about them. You owe it to them/yourself. :yo:

My grandfather was a collector but he died when I was 2. My dad sold every gun he ever owned because he is dumb with money. I have started my collection now, adding 3 this year. I wont sell any. I will pass them down to my girls and their kids if that day every comes. There is a special bond that is created when you pass down something so special.

Geaux as long as you don't feel the same about your Women.

Haha......but I love the craftsmanship and pure heavy construction of most classic weaponry.
Kinda like old hardware stores compared to the new big box stores.

Like the motorcycle shows I d walk by a hundred new bikes to look at an old Panhead.Same with guns Nothing like fondling a wood stocked weapon.

I always look for the stand up racks with old rifles and shotguns. Or those tables with 10-20 classic rifles laid out. And you know those glass cases are going to have Smith revolvers. Probably a Colt or two...All that stuff gets my undivided attention.

Back
Top Bottom