• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I feel much safer at night.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Some nights I feel a little vulnerable up here all alone. If an intruder was to make entry into a house out here it would take at least 30-45 minutes or longer for a law enforcement officer to get here. By that evil-doer could hurt someone, steal everything of value and be gone long before help could arrive. Some nights it's not uncommon to feel a little insecure. So I decided to add an extra measure of security to the homestead. Plus my little house is out of view from the road and the neighbors homes. For just under 25 bucks I decided to add these on both doors to make sure no one can kick the doors in and steal my guns and valuables or possibly injure me or worse. Needless to say I feel a lot more comfortable falling asleep.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_100117664_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230513_100117664_PORTRAIT.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 197
It also appears to be a windowed door which is easy entry.
I personally wouldn't worry much about that. By the time some piece of **** breaks my window, unlocks my locks, figures out there's a cross bar and gets it up and clear of the brackets, he already has a rifle pointed at him and waiting.

No window would be preferred though.

I personally wouldn't worry much about that. By the time some piece of **** breaks my window, unlocks my locks, figures out there's a cross bar and gets it up and clear of the brackets, he already has a rifle pointed at him and waiting.

No window would be preferred though.
Exactly! A hail of gunfire is next!

I have a 4 locks as well. The door lock, a chain, a keyed dead bolt ( they can't unlock that ) and one of those little cross bolt locks which you can see in the pic under the door lock. He would have to totally knock all the glass out and the three panel separators or get cut to ribbons trying to get through the window that is almost 4 foot off the ground. I think I am covered for the most part.

I hate to harsh your mellow here but that door itself wouldn't hold up to a good kick. It's the mechanical weakness of the door that is where you're vulnerable, no matter how many locks and chains you put on it.

If the invader doesn't know about the bar, he might break his foot or leg, but those cross pieces and the panels will flex and break with a solid impact. If you had a more secure door, you'd also need to upgrade your hinges with inner lock pins, and some really tonkin' big screws securing the hinges to the door jamb - and maybe even beef up the door frame in general.

Those kinds of upgrades will result in you spending a couple years' worth of training ammo, and ruin the 'look' of your house (unless you like the Fort Knox Esthetic).

Save the money on the upgrade, buy more guns and ammo. If someone breaks in when you're not there, it's only "stuff" that they're going to get (and that bar and the other security measures you've installed isn't going to hold them up getting into an empty house). If you're there when they try, you'll be able to teach them the error of their ways.

As you say, they'll make noise getting in - but they'd do that anyway without you having that bar on there.

Back
Top Bottom