• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I feel much safer at night.

It’s going to go down like this. The perp kicks in the window and climbs in, slices the femoral artery on the broken glass. He bleeds out in the house and then you get charged. GLWShards.

Here in Macon its the same response time as well. We are like 150 patrol deputies short iirc.
Only in the best neighborhoods in Macongo would you expect a nearly useless deputy to arrive in 30 minutes. Avg response time in older neighborhoods is running 2 hours 30 minutes now, if they bother to answer the call at all. There are several incidents reported where a B&E was IN PROGRESS and the 911 caller was assured a deputy would arrive shortly but NEVER came.

Burglars kick in doors a lot because it's fast and easy: that's my understanding. These kits work pretty well and they're not noticeable. Sure, the intruder can always gain entry by some other means, but they're going to be delayed and you're probably going to be awake at that point.

'Security' doors with no windows open to the outside of dwellings, cupelled with a steel frame, makes a formidable deterrent for someone to "kick" in.

Yep I prefer all solid doors that swing out, not in.

2 words: German Shepherd...you'll sleep like a baby.

The other recommendation that I prefer. Living alone in the country with no close neighbors is the perfect scenario for owning a large, not so friendly buzzsaw of a dog.

You could also make a stringer of caltrops to place inside the doorway. Sling them out at night, reel them in come morning. They will certainly give a burglar something to consider.

I hate to harsh your mellow here but that door itself wouldn't hold up to a good kick. It's the mechanical weakness of the door that is where you're vulnerable, no matter how many locks and chains you put on it.

If the invader doesn't know about the bar, he might break his foot or leg, but those cross pieces and the panels will flex and break with a solid impact. If you had a more secure door, you'd also need to upgrade your hinges with inner lock pins, and some really tonkin' big screws securing the hinges to the door jamb - and maybe even beef up the door frame in general.

Those kinds of upgrades will result in you spending a couple years' worth of training ammo, and ruin the 'look' of your house (unless you like the Fort Knox Esthetic).

Save the money on the upgrade, buy more guns and ammo. If someone breaks in when you're not there, it's only "stuff" that they're going to get (and that bar and the other security measures you've installed isn't going to hold them up getting into an empty house). If you're there when they try, you'll be able to teach them the error of their ways.

As you say, they'll make noise getting in - but they'd do that anyway without you having that bar on there.
Houses built these days aren't built woof a damn. This house was build in 1906 and is solid as a rock. The brackets aren't going anywhere. The whole idea is to force the intruder make as much noise as possible in his effort to get in. I just wanted to make it as hard as I could for him to accomplish that. If someone wants in they will find a way no doubt. I just want enough lead time to get to a weapon which isn't going to be long. When I am in the recliner which is where I sleep these days due to back issues, I have a 357 within reach and a 6.8 AR-15 less than 5 foot away. It's will take him longer to get in than it will for me to get armed and ready. What I have added is a vast improvement over a door lock and a dead bolt. Plus if he breaks a foot trying to kick this door in he is already in a loosing situation right then. There is also another device I can attach a the top of the door that will add reinforcement. I do most of my sleeping through the daylight hours anyway but I will still rest a little easier knowing he is going to have a time getting through what I have already.
I am also going to install a motion detector outside with a Ulta bright flood system. I am in the process of fortification and this was just the first step towards the goals I have set to alert me of any would be vandals.

Back
Top Bottom