• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I found Blazer Brass .45acp is using small pistol primers

Torn

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
52   0
Reaction score
Began removing primers from some .45acp today and found that Blazer is using small pistol primers instead of large. First time I’ve run into this. No big deal except I have to sort them separately and change to small when I put in new primers.

I remember hearing about some manufacturers switching over a few years ago. I remember it was mentioned on the Reloading Podcast, and I haven't listened to that for a couple of years now.

From what I remember of their discussion, primers and powders are good (reliable) enough these days that some manufactures don't feel the need to use large pistol primers in 45 ACP anymore. I guess 45 was always on the edge of what a small primer would work for, but case volume was just enough to make the large primers slightly more reliable.

The majority still do (or did back then) use large primers, but some of the budget ammo makers were switching to small primers for cost savings. I guess when you buy a couple of million primers, small savings add up.

But the end result is we have two different 45 cases these days, and since the cheaper ammo is more likely to be small primer it's more likely to be found in random range brass.

I hate them, really jams up the reloading process since I use a lot of range brass. Also hated the time when the Makarov was really popular, got mixed with a lot with 9mm luger.

This is an old ad (2016) I wrote for some small primed 45 ACP cases I once had for sale.....
Trade Value or Items Looking For: 250 Large Primer Pocket 45 ACP brass

Caliber: .45 ACP

Willing To Ship: Yes

Bill of Sale Required: No

Item Description:
In a time before it was counted as such, in a place filled with sulphur and flame and torment, the minions of Beelzebub began to harvest and store the souls of all manner of pedophiles, child molesters, matricides, patricides, and welfare cheats. Only a few short years ago, they most foul and faithful servants of the fallen One seeking to curry Fauvel prepared for him a great feast of these wretched and most damned of souls.

The Devil sat pleased and consumed these screaming demons with a furious relish and when at last sated patted his enormous belly and smoked a fine Romeo y Julieta. Shortly thereafter, a tremor set through the bowels of the Great Betrayer and he urgently responded to the call of nature retiring to the throne of thrones. Upon completion of his dastardly deed he stood and gazed admiringly upon his creation and saw with his eyes a thing of evil beauty incarnate.

Satan, ever desirous of tempting man to blaspheme and sin, drank his fill from the lake of fire and breathed into the odiferous mass of excrement and cried, "Take the form of a man and LIVE! I command you ascend to the world of men and to LIVE and work amongst them. You are to study and become an accountant, you are to seek employment with ATK and finally you are to convince the management of that company to fill the primer pockets of America's favorite cartridge with small pistol primers!"

And that's how we came to have small primer pocket 45 ACP cases.

Do you frequent a range where the RSO's are nozzles? Do they collect spent brass for processing? Do you want to vex your brother, friends, father-in-law reloaders? Keep a few of these babies in your pocket and mix them in their .45 brass bucket when they aren't looking. It makes for high times at the reloading bench!

250 - .45 ACP once fired brass cases (actually 259) which use SMALL pistol primers. The brass is clean and has been sized and deprimed and given a light tumble in corn cob media.

I will ship these in a small Priority Mail box at cost.

IIRC, the requirement from some large buyers was for non toxic primers. At the time the only pistol primers that met the spec were small primers.

I sorted all mine last fall and attempted to give away all the small primer cases, no takers. They are still all sitting in a sack, nice and shiny, sized, ready for loading and no home!

Back
Top Bottom