• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I had to 'defend' my home.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
This happened to me some weeks ago and I have been meaning to share it to be able to lend a thought process to those who take home defense seriously; as I was caught off guard by the experience. First a summary, then an evaluation.

I was asleep in bed with wife and at about 1 am I heard gunshots that sounded like they were coming from inside my home. I sprung up, and grabbed my piece from my nightstand. It was a DA/SA HK at the time and I remember that I cocked the hammer, finger off the trigger. First thing I did was yell at my wife to cal the police. Which she did not do; for reasons that are beyond me. I left my room and went across the hall to the boys room where it sounded like the gunfire was coming from. They were startling and beginning to hoop and holler. I could see a figure outside their window and the firing was definitely coming from outside their window. I drew on the the window and went to fire but I did not due to my children running to me. I shooed both boys back into my bedroom and shut the door. I ran to the front door (shooting was in front yard) and opened it, walked out front broad-side with a shooting stance and did an assessment. The front porch light was on and my whole body was outside the door frame. I noticed immediately that the gunshots were colored, and they were coming from the ground (My 3/4 O'clock). It was fireworks. When I saw that the "I'm being attacked" factor just instantly dropped. I remember I lost all my primal instincts and I felt like the hulk coming back down. I immediately heard someone yelling my name from the drive way (my 9 O'clock) My brother came home from the navy on a late flight and lit fireworks in my yard and was walking towards me laughing, saying chill out, calm down, etc. There was a serious family fight as the whole situation was incredibly immature, dangerous, and upsetting to neighbors and children. Wife was furious. This is typical s*** from my family and is to be expected; but that did cross the line

Looking back I like to analyze the things I did wrong.
-My wife did not dial the police, which I scolded her for afterwards.
-I should have spent more time securing my family, and hunkering down in my household.
-I should not have gone outside
-I did not have cover outside
-I should not have walked my whole body outside
-I did not physically hear my wife, children, or my brother calling my name due to sheer adrenaline/fear/whatever. If there were LE present I doubt I would have heard/obeyed orders. If someone came in the back door while I went out front I doubt I would have heard my family holler.

Feel free to enjoy the read, consider the circumstances, and critique the performance (or lack there of). Have a plan, make sure if you know you/loved ones are safe you make a conscious decision to engage/cover/whatever and plot your moves before moving.

We used to call this "Fog of War/Fog of battle". A few things you can do and train to help. Live fire training with people yelling and giving instructions. You can take a few classes and or try out some shooting competitions. This will put you into a setting where someone is giving you instructions and guns are going off. Need to get your adrenaline up and your attention going to several different directions and keep your focus on multiple things. Hope this helps.

Yikes! Honestly, It sound like you did very little right..

• Why would you draw and prepare to shoot outside your window at a silhouette?
  • Was the silhouette holding a weapon?
  • Was the silhouette a Good Guy or a Bad Guy?
  • Was your life in Danger?
  • You went outside the house and became an aggressor.
  • You went outside with a porch light silhouetting your body and position..
It sounds to me you need to call your family together and do a Post Mortem on what went wrong, and script a better plan for the future....

Good things:

1) Reacted quickly.
2) Had a firearm readily available.
3) Initial focus was on well-being of family, including having your young ones retreat to a safer location.

Bad things:

1) Took action without good situational awareness.
2) Gave up a superior defensive position (concealment and cover) to confront perceived threat.

Checklist for the future:

1) More thought about scenarios and how to react (inside threat vs. outside thread).
2) More family discussion about such situations, with clear roles and ground rules established, like who calls 9-1-1, who gets the kids, etc.
3) Kick brother's ass.
4) Disown brother.
5) Kick brother's ass again.

This happened to me some weeks ago and I have been meaning to share it to be able to lend a thought process to those who take home defense seriously; as I was caught off guard by the experience. First a summary, then an evaluation.

I was asleep in bed with wife and at about 1 am I heard gunshots that sounded like they were coming from inside my home. I sprung up, and grabbed my piece from my nightstand. It was a DA/SA HK at the time and I remember that I cocked the hammer, finger off the trigger. First thing I did was yell at my wife to cal the police. Which she did not do; for reasons that are beyond me. I left my room and went across the hall to the boys room where it sounded like the gunfire was coming from. They were startling and beginning to hoop and holler. I could see a figure outside their window and the firing was definitely coming from outside their window. I drew on the the window and went to fire but I did not due to my children running to me. I shooed both boys back into my bedroom and shut the door. I ran to the front door (shooting was in front yard) and opened it, walked out front broad-side with a shooting stance and did an assessment. The front porch light was on and my whole body was outside the door frame. I noticed immediately that the gunshots were colored, and they were coming from the ground (My 3/4 O'clock). It was fireworks. When I saw that the "I'm being attacked" factor just instantly dropped. I remember I lost all my primal instincts and I felt like the hulk coming back down. I immediately heard someone yelling my name from the drive way (my 9 O'clock) My brother came home from the navy on a late flight and lit fireworks in my yard and was walking towards me laughing, saying chill out, calm down, etc. There was a serious family fight as the whole situation was incredibly immature, dangerous, and upsetting to neighbors and children. Wife was furious. This is typical s*** from my family and is to be expected; but that did cross the line

Looking back I like to analyze the things I did wrong.
-My wife did not dial the police, which I scolded her for afterwards.
-I should have spent more time securing my family, and hunkering down in my household.
-I should not have gone outside
-I did not have cover outside
-I should not have walked my whole body outside
-I did not physically hear my wife, children, or my brother calling my name due to sheer adrenaline/fear/whatever. If there were LE present I doubt I would have heard/obeyed orders. If someone came in the back door while I went out front I doubt I would have heard my family holler.

Feel free to enjoy the read, consider the circumstances, and critique the performance (or lack there of). Have a plan, make sure if you know you/loved ones are safe you make a conscious decision to engage/cover/whatever and plot your moves before moving.

You did OK, remember everyone reacts differently to situations. NO, one was HURT, so you can only learn from this situation. I would recommend that your Wife get a weapon if case the intruders get past you she could still protect your children, Thank God it was NOT a worse outcome!

Thank God you didn't pull the trigger through the window. You are very critical of yourself for all the things you may have done wrong, but because you didn't fire your weapon, life returns to normal. I am not critical of your actions. You made the most important, one right choice.

You did OK, remember everyone reacts differently to situations. NO, one was HURT, so you can only learn from this situation. I would recommend that your Wife get a weapon if case the intruders get past you she could still protect your children, Thank God it was NOT a worse outcome!
My wife had a ND in our car that flew by my face and landed an arm hair away from my elbow in the driver door. She's disqualified. Genuinely. Not everybody is mature enough for firearms. And she does not have a mentality of "maybe bad will happen." She's the type of person who doesn't take fire alarms seriously and stuff like that.
Thank God you didn't pull the trigger through the window. You are very critical of yourself for all the things you may have done wrong, but because you didn't fire your weapon, life returns to normal. I am not critical of your actions. You made the most important, one right choice.
Glory to God. But I didn't sleep well for days after just thinking how scattered I was. I buried a nailboard by the kids windsill afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom