• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I HATE a thief...

Same thing happened to us about 6 months ago. They tossed everything.
I hope they feel good about stealing and disturbing dead people's things before the family got to go through it.
That sucks.

Alright...I gotta vent!!! There is an old house on family property that was built sometime in the late 1800's/early 1900's. My family lived there for years and years, but it has been "abandoned" for about 10yrs now. The house is, well...was, packed full of old antique furniture and historic documents relating to my heritage that went all the way back to 1792 when they came over from Germany. Well, Friday of last week we found out that someone had broken into the back of the house, the part that can't be seen from the road, and has trashed the place and stolen God knows how much stuff. It appears they have been coming and going for months (beat down paths in the grass). They flipped the whole place and there is literally a min of 2-4" of stuff on the floors throughout the entire house with it knee deep in places. They pulled stuff out of every closet, pulled every piece of furniture off the walls, dumped out every drawer, flipped every mattress and seat cover, pulled every thing out of the attacks, snatched books off bookshelves, took pictures off walls and ripped the backs out of them, and the list goes on and on and on.... If that wasn't enough, they went through the barns that are still standing and dug stuff out of them too. Hell, there was an old syrup boiler in the yard and they had dumped all the water out of it the Thu night before we discovered what was going on. I could tell because it was nearly empty and all the muck that was in it was next to it on the ground and still very wet. So, Sat morning bright and early my wife and I began the task of trying to get what valuable we could identify out of the house. We literally worked at that from 8:30 sat morn till dark and did the same again Sun. There is more stuff to get, but fighting to find time during the work week. When leaving the house Sat we tried to secure and lock the place up as best as we could and wouldn't you know it...those bastards came back Sat night. They didn't go back in the house but the same set of tracks pulled in and out of every entrance that goes to the house. Guess the new locks on gates and our tracks coming and going spooked them. The local sheriffs dept is I "involved" but I get the feeling making a report is the extent of their involvement at this point. For example, there was a V8 drink can on a pc of furniture by the door that had obviously been from Thu night (liquid still wet in the rim of the can) and the officers didn't even offer to take it for finger prints!! Now, I'm not trying to upset any of our LE folks. My dad was a cop and police chief for years and I love and respect the men and women in blue. That just seemed like a no brainer to us but seemed like a bother to the responding officer and detective. I have given lots of consideration to spending a few nights there in the hall with a shotgun and shooting whoever comes around but I'm sure that would be frowned upon by the local authorities.

I don't know...don't what good typing this has/will do other than raise my blood pressure again. I guess I will leave it like this. If you stumble across this post and you are someone who doesn't have enough morals to know that trespassing on other peoples property (posted or not), entering into a dwelling/barn that you do not personally own, and taking stuff contained within is not wrong; let me be reassure you that it IS wrong. Doesn't matter how run down and deserted it may look, it is not yours and you need to respect that and stay the f#@k out! Also, if you are one of these scumbags...I hope with every ounce of my being that someone comes and takes everything you own destroys what you do have and cherish.

Thanks for letting me vent, yall have a nice day!

Sounds like someone was rifling through the house looking for something they think has value or hidden somewhere. Any chance a family member went in and helped themselves?
I had an aunt that did that at my grandmothers house. She went in when the other siblings were not around and helped herself to grandma's things without the others knowing and while grandma wasn't dead yet. Special place in hell reserved for her.

You have any dope head family members,I would make them suspects.someone knew what was there.

Sounds like someone was rifling through the house looking for something they think has value or hidden somewhere. Any chance a family member went in and helped themselves?
I had an aunt that did that at my grandmothers house. She went in when the other siblings were not around and helped herself to grandma's things without the others knowing and while grandma wasn't dead yet. Special place in hell reserved for her.

No dope head family members. There aren't many of us left in total. I can count us all on 1-2 hands, depending on how deep down the cousin/in-law trail you wanna go. There could be some shady friends of a few folks I have in mind that might be stupid enough to do that though. There was $ in the family back around 1900 (part of the time when this house was occupied by my ancestors) but that's been long gone. Farming and frivolous spending by those before me took care of any nest egg that might have been. I agree that the way they looked behind pictures in the frames and other things sure did make it seem that they were looking for something valuable, but then the fact that they were taking pots, pans, dishes, etc that would be $1 items at a yard sale is on the total other side of the spectrum. Who knows....

Any close neighbors that would have known the house was empty and decided to help themselves? Whomever did it probably watched too many movies or antiques road show programs and started flip mattresses looking for valuables or cash buried in grandma's mattress. Same for the pictures. They might even come back with metal detectors looking for buried money jars in the yard.

You may want to consider installing trail cameras, driveway alarm and security camera that will all send a signal to your phone or computer if they show back up.

Sorry for the violation and loss to your family. Hate a thief!

I would have trail cams up right away and made it look like I never visited as to alert the scum bags that I was aware of their presence.
Probably kids fighting boredom thinking they found an abandoned place and decided to see what all they could find for beer money.

Any close neighbors that would have known the house was empty and decided to help themselves? Whomever did it probably watched too many movies or antiques road show programs and started flip mattresses looking for valuables or cash buried in grandma's mattress. Same for the pictures. They might even come back with metal detectors looking for buried money jars in the yard.

You may want to consider installing trail cameras, driveway alarm and security camera that will all send a signal to your phone or computer if they show back up.

Sorry for the violation and loss to your family. Hate a thief!

Yep, there have been some sketchy folks move in a few miles up the road. I have been looking at tire tracks coming and going from the old house and vehicles at these other residences as I slowly pass their houses and there appears to be a potential match. Time will tell I guess.

I hate this happened to you. It definitely sounds like someone who was familiar with the place and got very comfortable coming back multiple times. It would have been hard not to camp out there one night and surprise them. You wouldn't necessarily have to shoot anybody, maybe just the old Gomer Pyle "Citizens Arrest"! Good luck securing the place and hopefully getting some justice from the keystone kops

Back
Top Bottom