• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I hate this city: another reason to avoid marta

Look at all the New York tags running around Gwinnett. They move here and then vote for the same cancer that they escaped from. The most arrogant people who can't put 2 plus 2 together to figure out why their state was such a crap hole that they had to move. "Well we had trains in New York so why don't we have them here?"......Been here most my life and am so ready to move. Problem is I have another 20 years to go before retirening. Atlanta will be a third world city resembling Detroit of the 80's I'm sure.

Look at all the New York tags running around Gwinnett. They move here and then vote for the same cancer that they escaped from. The most arrogant people who can't put 2 plus 2 together to figure out why their state was such a crap hole that they had to move. "Well we had trains in New York so why don't we have them here?"......Been here most my life and am so ready to move. Problem is I have another 20 years to go before retirening. Atlanta will be a third world city resembling Detroit of the 80's I'm sure.
As many of you know I've owned property in the mountains since 1986 with the plan to move away from the city as soon as I was able,I grew up in Cobb county,moved to Gwinnett county in the early 1980s,both have become s**tholes of diversity.
The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to be able to escape
1- Get out of debt (pay off those cards)
2- Buy land (land will go up in value over time,and you can use it for recreation,(after it's payed off you can use the equity to buy more land)
3- Stop buying useless crap that won't get you to your goals

I'll say this....The suffering my wife and I did working In and around Atlanta has allowed us to escape the jungle and retire in paradise, I feel sorry for those who embrace living and raising their children in big city's where crime is rampant, traffic is hell, and they live in fear all the time. They have no idea where their food comes from, or what they are missing without all the conflict of living in such close contact with other people.
I am truly blessed to have been able to get the hell out!!!
Blessed is right! I first moved to Roswell in 1998. Worked the entire area north of I-20 from Lithonia to Stone Mtn and north to Woodstock, Cumming and Buford and all points in between. I didn't like how there was no separation between cities and of course rush hour traffic but for the most part I didn't mind living there. Spent most of the last 20 years living anywhere from just inside to perimeter to Canton and have watched it steadily erode to an intolerable level where we just had to get out. I was literally ready to go live in a tent on raw land rather than spend any more time in metro Atlanta. Sprawl is worse all the time and traffic is pretty much non-stop. Where we live now is quite an adjustment from having pretty much everything available to having to travel 20-30 minutes to get to most stores/food. But we have enough close by to get by. I like to say "we don't have everything we want but we have everything we need". I'll be happy if little to nothing changes here for as long as we are here!

I worked in Buckhead for a couple of years back in 2000, (85 mile commute one way), those idiots I worked with asked me why I didn't move closer.:noidea:

I wonder if they know now?:thumb:

Blessed is right! I first moved to Roswell in 1998. Worked the entire area north of I-20 from Lithonia to Stone Mtn and north to Woodstock, Cumming and Buford and all points in between. I didn't like how there was no separation between cities and of course rush hour traffic but for the most part I didn't mind living there. Spent most of the last 20 years living anywhere from just inside to perimeter to Canton and have watched it steadily erode to an intolerable level where we just had to get out. I was literally ready to go live in a tent on raw land rather than spend any more time in metro Atlanta. Sprawl is worse all the time and traffic is pretty much non-stop. Where we live now is quite an adjustment from having pretty much everything available to having to travel 20-30 minutes to get to most stores/food. But we have enough close by to get by. I like to say "we don't have everything we want but we have everything we need". I'll be happy if little to nothing changes here for as long as we are here!
When we first moved to Snellville in 1981 it was like living in the country,then came more and more traffic,then the crime (hwy 78 and 124 became gridlock)but we couldn't leave,we had to work (I felt trapped).
When I bought my first parcel of land (it was small and I had to make payments on it) we got out of the city every chance we got,fishing,hunting,camping,hikeing with my wife and kids(and friends) was a God sent,I really think It's what kept me sane,have I made mistakes...you bet,but buying and selling land has always been the thing that has made the most money,more than the market,and other investments I've made over the years.Think you can afford land? I did too,just start small and you will see how much it will work out for you,(I'm no land baron I can assure you,but I have bought and sold over a hundred ac.)
You can do it too,got to start somewhere....just do it

When we first moved to Snellville in 1981 it was like living in the country,then came more and more traffic,then the crime (hwy 78 and 124 became gridlock)but we couldn't leave,we had to work (I felt trapped).
When I bought my first parcel of land (it was small and I had to make payments on it) we got out of the city every chance we got,fishing,hunting,camping,hikeing with my wife and kids(and friends) was a God sent,I really think It's what kept me sane,have I made mistakes...you bet,but buying and selling land has always been the thing that has made the most money,more than the market,and other investments I've made over the years.Think you can afford land? I did too,just start small and you will see how much it will work out for you,(I'm no land baron I can assure you,but I have bought and sold over a hundred ac.)
You can do it too,got to start somewhere....just do it
Just got to buy in an area other people want to be in! lol We bought some acreage in south Alabama years ago when Atlanta 1st started wearing on us, wanting to get out in the country-and it is. However it severely limits potential buyers and now that we are wanting to sell there is not many offers coming in. It's a beautiful piece of property with no restrictions and honestly I would like to live there myself-but south Al is just too stinkin' hot for too much of the year for me! :laugh: But it's paid for at least so we'll just keep waiting and hoping for a buyer. Like where I'm at alot so I'd just as soon sell that property and put it into paying this place off asap. No other bills but this house so if we could ditch the mortgage we'd be sittin' pretty! :)

Just got to buy in an area other people want to be in! lol We bought some acreage in south Alabama years ago when Atlanta 1st started wearing on us, wanting to get out in the country-and it is. However it severely limits potential buyers and now that we are wanting to sell there is not many offers coming in. It's a beautiful piece of property with no restrictions and honestly I would like to live there myself-but south Al is just too stinkin' hot for too much of the year for me! :laugh: But it's paid for at least so we'll just keep waiting and hoping for a buyer. Like where I'm at alot so I'd just as soon sell that property and put it into paying this place off asap. No other bills but this house so if we could ditch the mortgage we'd be sittin' pretty! :)
Sounds like you have a great plan,I've posted a parcel on here and had a few bites but nothing solid (thought I'd give these guy's a chance, never listed with a realtor).....but that's the nature of buying and selling land you have to be ready to hold it until you get the price you want,I don't care if I sell that parcel or not,it's a fine piece and it's paid for.I hear people say "I can't afford to buy land"...but they can buy a 40 thousand dollar boat,a 50 thousand dollar truck,a 8 thousand dollar atv,etc,etc,etc
Had to hold a parcel (45 ac. in Heard county,BIG deer's)for almost 2 years before someone came along and bought it...killed some great deers and turkeys on that property while I waited,so it wasn't that bad

Back
Top Bottom