• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have 14 chickens for eggs and went through this egg problem. Bought my feed at TSC. Anyone else experience this?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Finger is pointed at Tractor Supply because most people buy their feed there. Dumor is made by Purina. I now buy from my local feed store (same price) different manufacturer. Our chickens did not lay for 3 months. Now we are getting eggs again.

I have a few friends that have chickens that have said the same thing. From what they said, it's Purina pulling some scam or something because their chickens have stopped producing eggs. Another friend had the same issue and switched to a brand not related to Purina and the chickens began to produce eggs again. They also said that Purina is the backbone brand that makes most of the other brands and specifically the Tractor Supply brands. Not that I know what I'm talking about but that is what I've heard around the water cooler.

My wife is an avid chicken hobbyist, and has been following the egg controversy closely in her online chicken groups. The problem seems to be widespread and keeps pointing back to the Dumor brand.

We have a flock of about 2 dozen. We fed Dumor from TSC up until about a year ago, and then switched to bulk buying from a local livestock grainery (Floyd Farms in Royston). We never had an issue with Dumor, but we were going through a lot of feed. It made sense to start going to Floyd's. Bought a couple of 55 gallon drums and buy about 500 pounds of feed at a time.

Our flock's egg production is better than it's ever been. We're keeping the neighborhood, friends and family supplied with eggs.

Wish I knew the truth of the matter. While it's easy to hate on big corporations and their mega-brands, any MBA will tell you it's very bad business to **** up your product's reputation. There is no reasonable motivation to mess with the product in a way that hurts customer success.

Yup when we where feeding the Pride brand laying mash (yellow bag) our hens stop laying So we bought Dumor brand Things stated to change over night They started laying again even when it's real cold out

Old timer told me it's all about daylight. Chickens need sunshine, we've had sooo many cloudy, rainy days, not to mention shorter days. Now that the days are longer you will see more, or regular production.

I think it's more than that. Yes, egg production tends to be lower in the winter time, but people with small flocks went from normal to nothing for long stretches.

It wasn't just the seasonal slowdown.

I don't have any evidence it was the feed. For all we know, it was radio signals from stray Chinese balloons. :)

I have all my feed bags still. Havn't bought layer crumble in about 2 months. I feed mine layer crumble mixed with organic scratch grain. We suppliment with ground beef and "junk" produce

Also if anyone has some silky hens we are looking for 2 or 3

Back
Top Bottom