• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a problem. I have a deer with a broken leg in my back yard.

Can't put it down. I am pretty sure it is pregnant.
Just let her be, She will probably survive. If she shows up in your yard a couple of days from now and can't stand or walk, then you can put her down. You won't have any issues with DNR or the local SO. They'd rather you do it, if it comes down to it, so they don't have to file a report for discharging their sidearm. But if she's still mobile, there's a decent chance she'll make it.

You are feeding them poison. They don't need it and it's not good for them at any time of year. Not to mention it's awful for other wildlife.
But I get it, people like to think they are "helping" and like to "look at animals". The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
No, you're not going to hell for feeding deer corn. ;)
But seriously, please do some reading and reconsider the merits of doing that. Good luck with peg leg. Hope she makes it fine.
It is perfectly fine if you feed it to them ALL the time. Don't be over dramatic.

OK.
"You can lead a horse to water...."
You can think you know everything but you don't.

The winter of 2014 was very difficult for the deer of northern Minnesota. Deep snow and cold temperatures created conditions in which predators had a field day with stressed deer. In many cases ,wolves moved into certain areas and slaughtered far more deer than they could ever eat. Deep snow made finding food extremely difficult and many deer were near starvation by February and March.

Despite their history of opposition to the practice, the Minnesota DNR mobilized volunteers across the northern half of the state to distribute CORN to stressed deer herds.

You can think you know everything but you don't.

The winter of 2014 was very difficult for the deer of northern Minnesota. Deep snow and cold temperatures created conditions in which predators had a field day with stressed deer. In many cases ,wolves moved into certain areas and slaughtered far more deer than they could ever eat. Deep snow made finding food extremely difficult and many deer were near starvation by February and March.

Despite their history of opposition to the practice, the Minnesota DNR mobilized volunteers across the northern half of the state to distribute CORN to stressed deer herds.
So you're saving deer form deep snow and starvation and wolves? From Minnesota DNR's' site. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/research/health/feeding/deer.html
Now that we've ruled out the irrelevant state and winters of MN, call our own WRD and see if they recommend it. Heck call QDMA, they are local boys.
Look I used to do it to, and put out salt blocks etc... Since I'd like to be a steward of all wildlife, I educated myself. Continue to be selective about what supports your pre-existing belief if you'd like. Just trying to help. I get it's not appreciate. Carry on... :yo:

Back
Top Bottom