• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a problem. I have a deer with a broken leg in my back yard.

Frances you know her, she called me up a few months ago about a rooster that was old and chasing the Gran kids. She asked me to come over an put it down..I said sure, I went without a pistol figured I would just ring its neck...Got in the pen she said it was in the corner..I went over there, damn thing was the biggest I have ever seen...I grabbed him and he kicked my butt for 5 minutes before I won....Yes he drew my blood also..

Never mess with a woman who has a cock bigger than yours!

I'd put the animal down.
I'd much rather be taken out with a bullet then find myself running for my life, only to not get away and start getting chewed on.
Let nature take it's course? I'm a part of nature, I'd do my part.
One way is much more humane than the other.

Sigh..... you're worried about shooting it but you are feeding it corn? That's about the worst thing you can do for a deer (or any wildlife). Forget what it does to their health, if nothing else, you have set up the premier ambush station for coyotes. Not to mention coyotes love corn too.
The deer will be fine, or not. I've seen quite a few 3 legged deer. While true, I may not see them multiple years in a row, they get along fine enough.
Having said that, do whatever you feel is right. You know the legalities.

In the meantime, an article you might find interesting. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/dont-feed-the-deer-how-corn-can-be-a-killer
We feed our deer corn and winter greens and in the summer a summer mix of food in a food plot. Our deer are never without food so there is no shock or adjustments to their systems.

We feed our deer corn and winter greens and in the summer summer mix of food in a food plot. Our deer are never without food so there is no shock or adjustments to their systems.
You are feeding them poison. They don't need it and it's not good for them at any time of year. Not to mention it's awful for other wildlife.
But I get it, people like to think they are "helping" and like to "look at animals". The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
No, you're not going to hell for feeding deer corn. ;)
But seriously, please do some reading and reconsider the merits of doing that. Good luck with peg leg. Hope she makes it fine.

Back
Top Bottom