• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have failed at being a parront.

I've always used the stick and carrot method. Start using a sick and give him treats when he responds in an appropriate manner. Graduate to a welding glove continuing the treats when appropriate. And if that doesn't work bust him over the head with a stick and save him for Thanksgiving dinner.

You should've started with a conure.
That's the last bird I had back in 95. But my son was 3 and liked to feed it tater tots and whatever else he left on his plate. One day I heard Jimmy scream out in pain and then yall "Asshole!" at the Conure who was still hanging upside down on the side of his cage. He bit Jimmy while he was feeding him fries or green beans etc. So I had a friend in Byron with a liquor store and his sign had a parrot on it. I convinced him he needed a parrot for the store. But the bird was somewhat of a screacher and spent most days in his cage outside on top of the ice machine.
I still like Conures and if I was gonna have another bird that would be it. They're like the 883 Sportster of parrots. They have biggger bird personality and don't take up as much space.

That's the last bird I had back in 95. But my son was 3 and liked to feed it tater tots and whatever else he left on his plate. One day I heard Jimmy scream out in pain and then yall "Asshole!" at the Conure who was still hanging upside down on the side of his cage. He bit Jimmy while he was feeding him fries or green beans etc. So I had a friend in Byron with a liquor store and his sign had a parrot on it. I convinced him he needed a parrot for the store. But the bird was somewhat of a screacher and spent most days in his cage outside on top of the ice machine.
I still like Conures and if I was gonna have another bird that would be it. They're like the 883 Sportster of parrots. They have biggger bird personality and don't take up as much space.

We just got a second one. We're hand weaning it.
IMG_1595.JPG

My little Parrotlet is the boss at my house, the dogs are scared of him and he thinks he's a dog. View attachment 1123673 View attachment 1123674 He's a real lover until he decides he's over it. His name is Boopers and he is my wife's protector! He has his moments but he is a big part of our family.
That's funny as hell! Most people don't realize how many different things the bigger birds will eat. On a similar note I was at the Brunswick Walmart last week and saw almost as many Seagulls and parking lot birds as you would see at the beach. All I had in the car was a Ziploc bag with some Ole Roy dog food. So I threw a few handfuls and they swooped down on it. But then they all looked confused about what they were supposed to do with it. When I feed the birds on Jekyll or St Simons ( it kinda pisses off other folks around me) the Seagulls and whatever other birds take the bread/crackers out into the water. Maybe I need to bring a more moist bird food.

Back
Top Bottom