• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have found a routine

Burdy

Default rank 5000+ posts
ODT Co-Founder
Forum Owner
260   0
Reaction score
At least one that works for me, and at least for now. I have been on this for a few months and it is working extremely well.

Just thought I would share this for anyone it may help. I honestly have no idea which one of these things is causing the gains, but at the age of 41, my strength training and cardio (I do crossfit:pop2:) is showing gains that I would say are outside of normal range considering I have been working out in some capacity most of my adult life.

Keep in mind when looking at these numbers I am a SMALL guy, 5' 7" and 135 lbs, so if you want to try this, make sure to scale it up for you. I do have a fair amount of strength as my max bench press right now is 200 lbs, can do no-legged rope climbs with a 20 lb vest and strict pullups for days. My legs are my weakness, only deadlifting around 265lbs and only being able to squat about 150 lbs or so, but I am working on that. Build is short upper body, long legs and slim. If I do have any fat gain when I am out of shape, its always around the "love handles".

Maybe it is just one of these things, as I changed to this routine all at once, or maybe it is a combination. I have truly felt like I have wound back the clock 7-8 years and considering I have been eating very clean for much longer than that, something in this routine is working. Here it is, hope it helps (I am not a fitness expert or dietician, so proceed at your own risk)

Drink Water throughout the day.

Breakfast:

4 Eggs, either steemed or on Eggspert from a Breville Egg Poacher
1/2 Banana
8 oz Lactaid Whole Milk
(30 Fat, 36 Protein, 28 Carb, 570 Calories, 0 Added Sugars)

Lunch:
Sandwich of Can of Starkist Selects Solid Light Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hellmans Cage Free Mayo, Toasted Sourdough Bread
1 Cutie (Mandarin Orange)
(28 Fat, 46 Protein, 84 Carb, 747 Calories, 0g added Sugars)

Pre-Workout
1 Honey Stinger Waffle (30 min prior)
7 Fat, 1 Protein, 21 Carb, 150 Calories, 11g added Sugars

Post-Workout
Muscle Tech MYOBuild BCAA's 1 Scoop (Just for soreness/recovery)
(20 Calories, 1 Carb, 1 added Sugar)

Dinner:
Much more random, but mostly...
Some type of meat: Roast, Ribs, Ribeye, Chicken, Sausage, Eggs etc
Some type of vegetables
Maybe a fruit
(Nutrition Varies Widely, but I lean toward the fatty meats when I can such as Ribeye which have 65+ grams of Protein, and 60+ grams of Fat with 800 plus calories. Contrast that with two Chicken breast of only 10 grams of fat 90+ protein with 450+ Calories)

Before Bed:
A shake made of:
Muscle Tech Phase 8 Time release protein (releases over 8 hours while you sleep)
8 oz Lactaid Whole Milk
The other 1/2 of my breakfast banana
(Sometimes I add a teaspoon of organic honey and/or 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter)
(365 calorie, 13 fat, 29 carb, 38 protein, 0 added sugar)

So NOT including whatever I eat for Dinner, we are consistently looking at:
(~80 Fat, 125 Protein, 160 Carb, 12g Added Sugars, 1900 Calories)

Which means including dinners it is something like this on average...

For every pound of body weight:
1g Fat
1.25g Protein
1.25g Carbs
20 Calories
0.1 g Sugars

Note the very low added sugar count: I eat almost none except the 12g that is used right before the workout. I have found that this does wonders for clearing a foggy brain so I keep my added sugars as low as I possibly can and its the first thing I look at on a nutrition label before buying.

My work/out rest schedule is basically to work out on Monday,Tuesday and Thursday,Friday.
If I can't work out on that schedule I DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. I have found out that trying to stay on schedule while out of town or when I have to miss, is not worth the trouble. Most of my gains are coming after the time off which shows that at the age of 41 my body is now requiring/liking the unplanned rest periods. They are not detrimental, they are helpful.

Due to Mercury, you shouldn't eat too much Tuna, so on my non-workout days I will replace with a PB and Banana sandwich on the toasted sourdough or maybe chicken and Brocolli or something similar.

For those that will ask, I have tried KETO, yes it will cut you up, yes you can gain strength, but your cardio WILL suffer. My goal is to be as healthy as possible overall and to have a good mix of Cardio, Strength, Flexibility, Explosiveness, Speed and Coordination. At this age, any gains are welcome.

An Eggspert Egg from the Breville machine...just turn it up in your mouth. Ridiculously good. :thumb:
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190222082733657_COVER.jpg

Edited to emphasise the very low amount of ADDED Sugars, I had previously listed sugars total which obviously fruit is very high in. I eat almost none except the 12g that is used right before the workout. I have found that this does wonders for clearing a foggy brain so I keep my added sugars as low as I possibly can and its the first thing I look at on a nutrition label before buying.

Back
Top Bottom