• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have some confusion about AR pistol laws

jawjadawg

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
1) What does OAL length have to do with designation as a pistol? I thought a pistol was a barrel less than <16", or OAL <26", and that you don't need to comply with BOTH <16" AND <26" OAL. In an earlier thread regarding VFG's someone stated that a pistol with an OAL greater than 26.3" could have a VFG because the gun is now designated as a "firearm" instead of a pistol. WHAT? I thought it was either a long gun or a pistol. What the heck is a "firearm", and how would such a designation effect legality of a AR pistol build with (hypothetically) a RRA pistol buffer, Sig Arm Brace, angled foregrip, barrel length of 13" with flash hider, and OAL length of 29". That is a legal configuration not requiring a stamp stamp, correct?

3) Could such a build be used to hunt deer in Georgia? I have been unable to find any regulations stating a maximum OAL for a pistol as a hunting weapon.

In for the comments. It’s my understanding that length has nothing to do with hunting requirements. Ex. The Thompson centers are pistol or rifle chambered . Personally I may or may not be hunting with a 10.5 inch with a blade brace in 223, depending on legality of course

You're trusting us to tell you if a build is legal? LOL. The VFG/"firearm" is technically a loophole in the NFA, and your info is somewhat correct (I believe 26" not 26.3"), but I recommend reading the actual written law before owning an AR pistol with a VFG.

You're trusting us to tell you if a build is legal? LOL. The VFG/"firearm" is technically a loophole in the NFA, and your info is somewhat correct (I believe 26" not 26.3"), but I recommend reading the actual written law before owning an AR pistol with a VFG.

I have not asked if it is legal for me to own an AR pistol with a VFG.

OAL length 26” or more if YOU manufactured it from a stripped receiver YOU manufactured a firearm you never made a pistol or a SBR or a rifle.

If less than 26” OAL with a bbl less than 16” you made a pistol and may use an angled grip but nothing you can wrap your hand or fingers around

It matters because you’re manufacturing. You can either manufacture a pistol, a firearm, a short Barreled rifle, a rifle.

You cannot take a rifle you bought as a rifle, or a pistol you bought as a pistol, and then turn these into “firearms”

Whether a manufacturer made it, or you manufactured it, it started as a nothing and you created a something. That’s how you’re able to make/manufacture a “firearm” that was never a pistol and never a rifle so not subject to either of their nuances.

Much like the shockwave firearms, they had to have been MANUFACTURED as a firearm, I.e. never had a stock, was never a pistol. Started as a virgin receiver with the intentions of being manufactured into a firearm.

There are no loopholes, only law. It is legal to manufacture or purchase a firearm with an OAL of 26” and install a vertical foregrip.

Don’t know **** about hunting

I have not asked if it is legal for me to own an AR pistol with a VFG.

Trying to be helpful without reiterating what you already posted.

A firearm, that was never assembled as a rifle, with >26" OAL and < 16" barrel, and does not have a buttstock, does not meet the classification of a pistol or a rifle, therefore it is only a "firearm". There is no law stating that you cannot put a VFG on a "firearm".

OAL length 26” or more if YOU manufactured it from a stripped receiver YOU manufactured a firearm you never made a pistol or a SBR or a rifle.

If less than 26” OAL with a bbl less than 16” you made a pistol and may use an angled grip but nothing you can wrap your hand or fingers around

It matters because you’re manufacturing. You can either manufacture a pistol, a firearm, a short Barreled rifle, a rifle.

You cannot take a rifle you bought as a rifle, or a pistol you bought as a pistol, and then turn these into “firearms”

Whether a manufacturer made it, or you manufactured it, it started as a nothing and you created a something. That’s how you’re able to make/manufacture a “firearm” that was never a pistol and never a rifle so not subject to either of their nuances.

Much like the shockwave firearms, they had to have been MANUFACTURED as a firearm, I.e. never had a stock, was never a pistol. Started as a virgin receiver with the intentions of being manufactured into a firearm.

There are no loopholes, only law. It is legal to manufacture or purchase a firearm with an OAL of 26” and install a vertical foregrip.

Don’t know **** about hunting
two-thumbs-up.jpg

I thought it was a pistol even if the OAL exceeds 26" until a VFG is added. After further reading I believe the AOW firearm designation applies only IF I add a VFG. Is that not correct? In that configuration it would be a legally designated pistol with a 29" OAL.

Thanks C'mon man! C'mon man! . I had missed your edit. If I understand correctly the designation isn't so much important - call it a pistol or firearm or whatever but the main thing is that it isn't an SBR and does not need a $200 stamp.

This whole thing is just silly. "Meant to be fired with one hand" but they allow this type of grip but not another when clearly any additional grip is meant for a 2nd hand.

I thought it was a pistol even if the OAL exceeds 26" until a VFG is added. After further reading I believe the AOW firearm designation applies only IF I add a VFG. Is that not correct? In that configuration it would be a legally designated pistol with a 29" OAL.
You're missing the point. All of this comes down to what the weapon was originally manufactured to be. Adding an accessory doesn't changed what the item is, there are just rules about what you can and can not add to the weapon...and if you add something on the naughty list, you then have to reclassify the weapon.

If you want to skirt the NFA (unconstitutional though it may be), feel free. If you want peace of mind, pay the $200 insurance and put a stock and VFG and whatever other kind of who'sey-what's-its you like.

Also, very succient and accurate write up, JDS556762 JDS556762 :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom