• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have some gun owner questions I don't really know where else to ask.

definitely what badger said. Cheap and you can often times go to the county sheriff's office or PD and pull your record in less than 20 minutes. It will detail everything including arrests, charges, dispositions, etc.

With that in hand, check out georgiapacking.org or georgiacarry.org for present laws and statutes. Based on how you described it, its sounds as if you either went through a diversion program of some sort or pled under the first offender act. Eitherway, upon completion of probation (So long as it is not a drug charge) and you have no felonies, drug charges, domestic violence charges, you are technically eligible for a GWL. However, in that statute there is language to the effect of giving the probate judge the power to decide if you are of "Good moral character"

Some folks are summoned to probate court to explain their past, etc. and based upon that explaination are either granted or denied the GWL. Some are denied flat out due to "good moral character" clause. It really will be up to the probate judge.

I say get the criminal history and then apply for your GWL so long as you are not statutorily disqualified. Cross you fingers and hope for the best.

PS.. i said I would never want to carry either... oops... then I got my GWL... then I said "why the hell not!?"

edit to add: for the record... when you apply for your gwl you consent to a GBI AND FBI background check.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom