• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I hit the Jack Pot on hunting property up in Virginia

I will tell you it's a different world up here. Me and one of my buds were going down to scope out the boat ramp about two blocks from the front door and I went to lock the door, he said " what are you doing. You spent to much time in Atlanta, I don't even lock my doors ". I was like man are you serious. One top of that they still have gas stations here where you pump your gas first and then go pay. That one blew me away. I told the clerk if you did that in Atlanta you would be out of business in a day. People look out for each other here. You do something like that at the local market and all the patrons will hunt your ass down. They don't like people messing with their laid back way of life here. That's a good thing. It took a couple weeks for the locals to get friendly but that's mountain folk for ya. You got to earn that trust. Once you are in they look after you and your property. Like a say it's a total culture shock but in a real good way.

Between Washington and Jefferson national forests, you have access to over 1 million acres of hunting land in Va. If you're not taking advantage of that, you're doing it wrong.

I will tell you it's a different world up here. Me and one of my buds were going down to scope out the boat ramp about two blocks from the front door and I went to lock the door, he said " what are you doing. You spent to much time in Atlanta, I don't even lock my doors ". I was like man are you serious. One top of that they still have gas stations here where you pump your gas first and then go pay. That one blew me away. I told the clerk if you did that in Atlanta you would be out of business in a day. People look out for each other here. You do something like that at the local market and all the patrons will hunt your ass down. They don't like people messing with their laid back way of life here. That's a good thing. It took a couple weeks for the locals to get friendly but that's mountain folk for ya. You got to earn that trust. Once you are in they look after you and your property. Like a say it's a total culture shock but in a real good way.
There is a McDonald's in Hurt, Va. where my wife is from and they bring your order to your table. Those small communities have great courtesy and the folks that work take pride in their jobs. Know a guy that retired from "fast food" up there....30 years at the same restaurant. I would have lived up there after graduating from college but my resumes were answered here in Ga. Pay and lifestyle are simpler there also. My wife grew up like OPie in Mayberry....lol. Still go visit there annually in the fall when possible and hunt my friends farms.

Well when you come back up give me a jingle. I can get on this property. 434-299-5098. Load that in you phone and we will give it a shot. If you look at a map of Virginia Bedford Co. especially Big Island is right smack dab in the middle of George Washington National Forest. I am at the very north end of the county. When hunters say the north side dear being bigger it's referring to where I live. Sure is pretty country up here. My uncle live right on the border of that land and he live only ten miles from me. We have hunted that land a good bit.

Back
Top Bottom