• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I hit the Jack Pot on hunting property up in Virginia

Nice. The only problem I've had with tracts of tertiary and secondary forest between farm land is it's often too thick. Yeah they go bed down there after eating at the crop land but unless they are 10 ft from me I couldn't get a shot. Havent seen the property so don't know if it's like that just an assumption from you're original post. Are you allowed to cut shooting lanes through it? Is it more open than I am picturing in my head? Kudos on finding a great spot you can't wait to hunt. Hope it's your best season ever.

The old land I use to hunt on with four brothers when we were kids use to have a lot of tobacco growing on it. Since then it's turned into heavy thicket and the rest is heavy wooded area. Total acreage is right around 200. All around the property farmers are growing alfalfa and soy beans. So the dear just migrate to the property I am going to hunt on. Last year the second to the youngest of the brothers killed two eight points and a 11 point and he said there were bigger dear than that in there. The brothers said 200 lbs dressed is common there and they have seen much bigger dear on there property.
I was talking with one of the brothers and he said our county is the biggest deer producing county in Virginia. That's probably becuase it's 80% forest. You can't beat that with a stick however, you can with a 30-30 LOL. They said the turkey population is at record numbers as well. Like Donald Trump said " I am not a braggadocios man " but it looks like I'm in the best hunting territory there is to be at. LOL

Looks like this year is going to be a good one. All I have to do is get nestled in and wait till get filled up with alfalfa and soy and blast em when they come back onto the land I will be hunting. It don't get no better than that. I am going to put that old 6.8spcll Urban Super Sniper to good use this year. If that don't beat all one of the brother is a meat cutter. I am no talking about opening the big cuts of mean and trimming and slicing. I am talking about he processes the whole dear. Cuts it up, packages it and the whole kit and caboodle

Life just don't get any better than that boys.
He killed 2 eight points and 11 eleven point, that's one over the limit .

Well when you come back up give me a jingle. I can get on this property. 434-299-5098. Load that in you phone and we will give it a shot. If you look at a map of Virginia Bedford Co. especially Big Island is right smack dab in the middle of George Washington National Forest. I am at the very north end of the county. When hunters say the north side dear being bigger it's referring to where I live. Sure is pretty country up here. My uncle live right on the border of that land and he live only ten miles from me. We have hunted that land a good bit.
You living up there now?

Nice. The only problem I've had with tracts of tertiary and secondary forest between farm land is it's often too thick. Yeah they go bed down there after eating at the crop land but unless they are 10 ft from me I couldn't get a shot. Havent seen the property so don't know if it's like that just an assumption from you're original post. Are you allowed to cut shooting lanes through it? Is it more open than I am picturing in my head? Kudos on finding a great spot you can't wait to hunt. Hope it's your best season ever.
They have stands right along the trail. They kill their deer of those few stands every year.

Back
Top Bottom