• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I know pistols are more popular than revolvers but......

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
Thinking of trench conditions in WW I I'd be tempted by the revolver.

It's winter, dark, raining, up to your ankles in mud, (if you're lucky). Field stripping the Mauser leaves you with a pile of little parts begging to go missing, fiddly reassembly, and a bit clunky in the hand. The P08 has fewer bits to lose, but was probably the most prone to jamming in the conditions. The Webley; one screw if you really want to remove the cylinder for cleaning, other wise a very robust piece of kit.

That 45 caliber piece of lead would be decently effective at close range, and I reckon it'd make the best club in a desperate situation !

ok.jpg

Thinking of trench conditions in WW I I'd be tempted by the revolver.

It's winter, dark, raining, up to your ankles in mud, (if you're lucky). Field stripping the Mauser leaves you with a pile of little parts begging to go missing, fiddly reassembly, and a bit clunky in the hand. The P08 has fewer bits to lose, but was probably the most prone to jamming in the conditions. The Webley; one screw if you really want to remove the cylinder for cleaning, other wise a very robust piece of kit.

That 45 caliber piece of lead would be decently effective at close range, and I reckon it'd make the best club in a desperate situation !

View attachment 3338069
It would certainly beat a cowboy revolver or .38 double action of the time

It would certainly beat a cowboy revolver or .38 double action of the time

I think it would beat out the pistols as well. The amount of mud and crud in the trenches could jam them at the worst time, the revolver not nearly as easily affected.

Back
Top Bottom