• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I know Zip about reloading.. so let me ask you guys

Studiogene

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
126   0
Reaction score
Is there any reason to reload 12ga if I'm shooting 100-150 rounds of sporting clays each weekend? I can usually buy 12ga target loads around $5 a box on sale, so is it worth the time/investment of a single stage or progressive press?

It is only cheaper to reload 28 and 410 , at one time it was cheaper to load 12 ga, and if you want to load good quality hunting loads it is cheaper to reload, but trap and skeet shells are as cheap to buy off the shelf

Is there any reason to reload 12ga if I'm shooting 100-150 rounds of sporting clays each weekend? I can usually buy 12ga target loads around $5 a box on sale, so is it worth the time/investment of a single stage or progressive press?

NO!

You will not save any money and it will cost you more to load 12 gauge shells.

Lead shot is so high right now it'll cost you $6 a box to make 1 ounce shells and as you've seen you can get 1 1/8 ounce shells for a little over $5 a box.

The only savings in shot shell reloading now is .410/28 & 16 gauge.
For example .410 Win AA is $9 a box, you can reload them for about $3.
28's and 16's are high too, so there's a savings there as well.

NO!

You will not save any money and it will cost you more to load 12 gauge shells.

Lead shot is so high right now it'll cost you $6 a box to make 1 ounce shells and as you've seen you can get 1 1/8 ounce shells for a little over $5 a box.

The only savings in shot shell reloading now is .410/28 & 16 gauge.
For example .410 Win AA is $9 a box, you can reload them for about $3.
28's and 16's are high too, so there's a savings there as well.

Yeah,

That's pretty much what I figured after talking to some of the guys at my gun club. If I shot 28 gauge or .410 it would be worth the time/expense. Otherwise Wally World or Dicks seem to be my best bet

Back
Top Bottom