• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I love catching these things on a light fly rod.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
4/1/14 Nine inches.
fish.jpg

Nice! I used to catch bream on a fly rod at a local pond when I was
a kid. So much fun!

That's how I started, too. Since then I have caught a lot of other species a lot of different ways. Fresh water and salt, big and small, but will always count Bluegills on a fly rod with a popping bug as one of my true favorites.

You don't happen to run a fishing guide service do you? If not you have missed your calling. Know you enjoyed.

I have found a lake that has a LOT of these big boys and have fished it for many years, so I know most of the good spots. I have caught several that were over 12 inches! I'm convinced the new state record is in this lake. I have hooked several that I could not land on a 4lb tippet. They either get into cover and break off or I keep them out of the cover....and they break off. It happened again yesterday. I have tried a 6lb tippet, but I get fewer strikes.

I've never done the flyrod thing but as a kid I used to do the same thing with poppers tied 3 or 4 feet behind a clear casting bubble on a spinning rod. It really is exciting to see a big 'gill hit them. I bought some poppers over the winter and look forward to this type of fishing again. Nice post!

Hung up my 8' rod with an automatic Johnson years back. Caught many blue gills and sun perch on that thing, try landing a small bass if you REALLY want to have some fun!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom